Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about ordering a supply of the mailer type boxes that so many companies use to ship handguns in. I'd use the boxes to store handguns in my safe so that I could stack them. Could cardboard leach any kind of acids or anything else that could harm the blueing? I'm curious what others use for storage.

G

·
Unbleached Kraft paper used in corrugated containers is made with an acid process with a pH of around 4.0 to 4.5 typically, and if the corrugated linerboard got wet or damp there is a possibility of leaching of some residual chemicals or additives. To combat that, I would line the box with polyethylene, or with VCI-treated paper or poly film.

Noah

·
Registered
594 Posts
Brownell's sells a fabric "sock" for handguns. They are made of a gray synthetic material, treated with silicone and rust-inhibitor. Brownell lists them as "Bore Stores." The handgun versions range from $4.25 to $7.75.

I use them and have been very satisfied, and several other members have reported the same results.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. I need to put them into boxes or something stackable to stack them in the cabinet. I even wondered about plastic tuperware type boxes. Perhaps the "socks" then inside a cardboard or plastic box. I guess the plastic storage containers by themselves might be o.k. There a couple nice handguns I really don't want anything to happen to.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've put handguns in cardboard printer type boxes and stacked them in my safe for the last five years or so. I have also thought about the potential for a damaging chemical reaction; however, I have seen no problems to date. I live in a dry climate; so, my experience may not be universal. Even though I've had no problems, if I were to leave the country for several years and not be able to regularly inspect my pistols, I probably would wrap them in VPI paper before reboxing them. If you fear chemical reactions, don't store your guns in anything made of PVC.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've put handguns in cardboard printer type boxes and stacked them in my safe for the last five years or so. I have also thought about the potential for a damaging chemical reaction; however, I have seen no problems to date. I live in a dry climate; so, my experience may not be universal. Even though I've had no problems, if I were to leave the country for several years and not be able to regularly inspect my pistols, I probably would wrap them in VPI paper before reboxing them. If you fear chemical reactions, don't store your guns in anything made of PVC.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Be very careful re. the tupperware type of plastic boxes. Any humidity or moisture that is sealed in will create a terarium effect, and actually make the pistol more likely to rust. In my safe, I use racks that allow me to arrange a lot of pistols in a small area. I can get more pistols per shelf with the racks, that I can if each pistol were in a box. With the racks, I can get 30 pistols per shelf. In small boxes, I could probably get less than 20. I oil them up with Break Free Collector, then rack them. Here's a photo and some info on the racks. I don't have any connection with the seller, other than buying racks from him.

Download Attachment: Racks-For-Pistols.jpg
120.83 KB

·
Registered
485 Posts
Be very careful re. the tupperware type of plastic boxes. Any humidity or moisture that is sealed in will create a terarium effect, and actually make the pistol more likely to rust. In my safe, I use racks that allow me to arrange a lot of pistols in a small area. I can get more pistols per shelf with the racks, that I can if each pistol were in a box. With the racks, I can get 30 pistols per shelf. In small boxes, I could probably get less than 20. I oil them up with Break Free Collector, then rack them. Here's a photo and some info on the racks. I don't have any connection with the seller, other than buying racks from him.

Download Attachment: Racks-For-Pistols.jpg
120.83 KB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.