Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought I nice colt commando 38 Sn 329x and a E on the bottom of the serial. it is in 98 % cond, I think it was made January 1943. Did the early commando come with wood or plastic grips ?this one have wood look to be right. And my commando is a dark parkerized should it be a greenest parkerized or can this be a reparkerized pistol and that why it have wood grips? can anyone help me with this, any am i rigth about the date of the pistol? one more thing any good web site for Colt commando.

serial is 329x
E

· Registered
861 Posts
The dark finish is correct. This finish was called Parco-Lubrite and can appear almost black. The hammer and trigger will be dark too. Most of the grips on the Commandos were the brown plastic, but wood ones have been noted on a very few early ones. If not numbered to the gun, it would be hard to tell if original. Gunparts Corp had the plastic ones about a year ago and may still have some.
These are well made revolvers and not as common as the S/Ws.
Hope this helps.
Dean
Here is a photo of mine.

Download Attachment: ccc.jpg
63.14KB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea that how mine look's, so that why the gun do not turn green over the yearsbecaue it is not park, it is Parco-Lubrite thank you

· Registered
861 Posts
I think that Grey-Green finish you mention is the way some of the Parkerizing came out that was used by other companies/arsenals. I am not sure age has anything to do with it. That dark Parco-Lubrite (not sure if it is also a form of parkerizing) is just the way Colt did it on those revolvers. It appears to be a very durable military style finish.
Dean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dean
over time grey parkerizing will take on a green tint, becaue of oil or grease. so if you see a m-1 rifle or m-1 carbine 1911a1 it should have a green tint to it, if it is the origanl finish.
Dean did you get the grips from guns parts corp and are they origanl G.I. OR colt, becaue ever time i buy parts from them i get junk. thank you frank

· Registered
861 Posts
I looked up the grips on the Gunparts website. I think the part number is 328260 (Colt Official Police and Commando Grips, Brown plastic with emblem)Price was $20.55. States limited amount left.
Ask for excellent condition for restoration.
Dean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well Gunparts did it to me angin F me hard. order grips for me colt got them today both side are cracked..... so now i will call tomorrow and bitch to them about it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.