Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This pistol was shipped to Springfield Armory sometime between the end of November 1942 and the middle of January 1943. It is one of about 6575 pistols that was on hand at Colt's when they suspended commercial sales. These pistols had their Government Model and commercial serial number markings obliterated by peening. Then they had the USP and M1911A1 markings rolled on and military serial numbers applied to the slide and frame, had their Swartz safety and commercial small parts components removed, were refinished to military specs. to get rid of that beautiful commercial blue finish, were test fired and P proofed, and were final inspected and accepted by the Government, as indicated by the G.H.D. (on this pistol) and Ordnance Acceptance (crossed cannons) markings. The commercial barrels were also transferred and used, having both the commercial S marking and the military P proof. Commercial marked magazines were sandblasted and re-blued to military standards and were also shipped with these pistols and later until they were depleted by about mid-1943.
I am not aware of any documentation saying that Colt's received any additional money for these pistols they had to convert to meet military requirements. I imagine they opted to do it in order to sell the pistols immediately to the government, rather than to put them on the shelf for commercial sales later after the war ended.

Download Attachment: comm-mil 860147 left.jpg
113KB

Download Attachment: comm-mil 860147 right.jpg
113.1KB

Download Attachment: comm-mil left markings.jpg
64.11KB

Download Attachment: comm-mil right markings.jpg
36.31KB

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
Very nice Scott. I am guessing this is true, but are the serial numbers known so fakery is harder to do out there for this "small" batch?

And then, maybe fakery isn't being done on 1911A1's like some other types of guns?

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a known serial number range and these pistols have some specific characteristics that would make it a little tough to fake. Additionally, there are still all the proof marks and inspections to check and verify.
Yes, I have seen a fake or two, but they weren't too difficult to detect for anyone who knew enough about one to be buying it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.