Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Colt Model M1903 (.32) US Property

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Newbie 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently acquired a Colt Model M1903 (.32) US Property marked. A friend of mine had owned it and had I asked him to give me first dibs if he were to sell it. The pistol is not something I normally collect but the condition was outstanding and for unknown reasons I had a connection to it. I have had so many guns come and go I rarely feel anything anymore, I felt something for this pistol.

The date of manufacture is 1941, SN is 555463. I researched online and I found a data base (Springfield Research Records) that may have records pertaining to this pistol. Does any one have access to that data base or any other where potentially I can find history pertaining to this pistol.

Thank you, Jay

See less See more
#12 ·
Nice pistol. One oddity to me is the Ordnance crossed cannons mark on the trigger guard bow. The early blued guns I’ve seen have either the inspectors initial (e.g., WB), a punch mark, or on a few an Ordnance bomb on the trigger guard bow The later parkerized pistols usually have the Ordnance crossed cannons mark on the left rear of the slide. Most were shipped to Springfield Armory while some went to the OSS.

#15 ·
Yes, in approx 1942 Colt started parkerizing them, from 561,000 and up.

I have a open question, according to my searches Colt made these from 1903–45 but the Military handed them out until 1972. Who maintained the inventory, Colt or the Military ? I find this confusing!

I am still trying to tie this pistol to its owner, I suspect it was a senior officer as it was ordered by "Commanding General".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.