Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I know that this one is not a military model, but I think this is the best place to show it. Hope you don't mind.

I recently got this Colt Pocket 1903, serial number 449614, chambered for .32ACP. They are not rare (more than 700,000 made between 1903 and 1945) but I simply love them. I think it is because My father used to carry one back in the 70s when he had to do some night work. And it was one of the first guns of my collection, when he gave it to me.

However this one caught my attention because it is simply MINT. According some sources I found that it was made in 1925, but I think that it was rarely shot. Its finish, with exception of a few scratches (and a small crack in the grip), is so well done that was even difficult to take pictures without see my reflection in the slide.A typical exemple of the early 20th Century Colt's craftmanship.

Hope you enjoy it...

Douglas.

Attachments

·
Registered
912 Posts
Doug,
I think the Colt quality of this era is second to none. I have enjoyed a few of these small Colt's over the years. I am still looking for a nice "General Officer's" variation with documentation of course.
Thanks for posting the pictures of your Colt. It certainly looks like an excellent example.
Jared V.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I like it, too. The 1903 is for me one of the nicest of Browning`s pistols. I have one with U.S.PROPERTY and Colt letter. Thank you for showing this nice one. Regards Klaus

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Superb photographs of a beautiful gun. The grey background is elegant. I agree the workmanship on early Colts is second to none. My favorite .22, a Woodsman Match Target, is made like a Swiss watch and as reliable. It's also more accurate than my S & W Mod.41. To my eye the '03 is one of very few guns that look right plated, and I say this as a purist who usually shuns them. Best regards, Dick

·
Registered
283 Posts
Colt 1903

According to John W. Brunner's book "The Colt Pocket Hammerless Automatic Pistols", Colt 1903 SN 449614 was manufactured in 1923. There were a total of 572,215 model 1903s made. Here are pictures of a U.S Property marked model 1908 .380ACP with the high polish finish. The Colt letter states that it was shipped in 1944 to the Transportation Officer at the Springfield Armory for the Commanding Officer.

Attachments

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
9,900 Posts
Douglas, Nice presentation! I have admired this Browning design for many years and Colt's execution of his design into a quality pistol is faultless. They are one of the finest pistols I know of besides the Luger. Easy to take down, slim, light and they NEVER jam.
Finding one in mint condition is hard to do because these pistols were carried and used. I enjoy shooting mine...
Jerry Burney

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
According to John W. Brunner's book "The Colt Pocket Hammerless Automatic Pistols", Colt 1903 SN 449614 was manufactured in 1923. There were a total of 572,215 model 1903s made. Here are pictures of a U.S Property marked model 1908 .380ACP with the high polish finish. The Colt letter states that it was shipped in 1944 to the Transportation Officer at the Springfield Armory for the Commanding Officer.
Oeschler,

Thanks for the correct information. And yours 1908 is a very nice example of a military Colt Hammerless pistol.

Wishes,

Douglas.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
9,900 Posts
Colt made about half as many 380's as 32's. as I remember. The Colt Pocket Auto in .380 is a force to be reckoned with! In capable hands it would stop any attacker.

Jerry Burney

·
Registered
283 Posts
Colt Pocket Hammerless Pistols

John Brunner's book is excellent and is the only known resource for these pistols. It was printed in 1996 and is very difficult to find. If a copy can be found for sale, they are in the $250-$300 range. There were 572,215 model 1903s (.32 cal) made. There were 138,010 model 1908s (.380) made. There were 420,705 model 1908s (smaller .25 cal) made.

Here is a picture of a Colt 1908 .380 in factory nickel with factory pearl grips with flush silver medallions made in 1927.

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a 1903 in 32acp and a 1908 in 25acp.
But when it comes to a 1908 in 380 I always seem to be a day late-and a dollar short. Thanks for letting me drool all over yours.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
My Colt letter tells me:
Caliber: .32/c
Barrel Length: Not Listed
Finish: Blue
Sold to: United States Government
Shipped to: Property Officer
Supply Division
Office of Strategic Services
Address: Rosslyn Virginia
Date of Shipment: August 24, 1944
Colt Factory Order: #420
Number of Same Type
Guns in Shipment: 508

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't know that there are so many fans of this small wonder out there!
Good to know that! Keep them coming!

Klasu,

Can we see some pictures of your OSS Colt 1903?

Greetings,

Douglas

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Klaus, The OSS association of your pistol would make it a very desirable item in the States. When i get home I will see if I can check on how many were ordered by this predecessor to the CIA.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Klaus, from Charles Pate "US Handguns of WWII" the OSS purchased from 3000 to 6000 32 cal Colt 1903s. Yours is interesting in that it pushes the reported serial number range down somewhat. Pate reported 493450 to 572121. The October 1944 shipping date is consistent with a blued pistol shipped from Colt inventory. New military production shifted to parkerizing in October of 1944.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The weather is also dark today so the photos are not the best.
Here are two Colts with the holsters. My question is if the holsters are correct? This one which is with the 1906 made has another magpouch otherwise they are of about the same kind. Whats about the clips. Some I picked are unblued on the top. Both mags with the U.S. PROPERTY/ OSS are blued.
Thank you Klaus

I must mention that the quality of the original photos (1,50 MB are much better than these shorted to about 300 KB). Hmm

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts