Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Dwight

In the absence of a Germany export mark on the luger I would hazard to guess that an unmarked magazine would be correct, however I believe unless the 5 digit commercial was not utilized by the Weimar police that any proper tubed magazine with even a sunburst K proof could be also correct.

Short answer either one, marked or unmarked.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
James,

I should have been a bit more specific. The gun is GERMANY marked, displays no characteristics of Police connection. I suppose the question could be expanded--generalized--a bit, to: where in the Commercial serial series did magazines change from unmarked bases to Germany marked?

--Dwight

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After doing a little research, and realizing that I have a five-digit numbered magazine, I must revise my question to: when did DWM start stamping 5-digit numbers on the mags; was it consistent, or was this intermixed with unmarked or GERMANY stamped mags; and/or can one presume that GERMANY stamped mags came in with Alphabe Commercials?

--Dwight

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
Dwight, I too have had mags with five digit serial numbers on them. I believe that they are Weimar era police mags that matched a commercial police Luger of that era.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Dwight -

Not sure if your question is limited to 1920 commercial DWMs or not, but there have been at least two separate reports of Commercial-Army Lugers with matching 5 digit magazines on this forum and the LugerForum in recent months. One of these reports identifies a Commercial-Army with TWO matching 5 digit magazines.

Luke

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Luke,

My question originally was pointed toward a Safe/Loaded commercial I just picked up. I quickly realized that there is a larger question, and my query extends through the 5-digit commercial range from the introduction of the P-08 commercial to the beginning of Alphabet Commercial production.

Thanks very much for the references. My Commercial survey now extends through the end of the 5-digit range (not my original intention!), there are lots of new entries for me here.

--Dwight

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.