Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,114 Posts
P represents 'Privat', which would indicate it was intended for commercial sales. I have never heard of the Germans doing this? The Swiss for sure.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a similar enigma with the magazine shown below. It appears to be an early Commercial magazine but on the lower spine it has a 3 digit number pantographed horizontally. These horizontally pantographed numbers more or less signify the Wilhelmshaven Naval dockyard, the only Naval facility to use a pantograph machine at the time. This magazine came with a 1914 Commercial Navy, although that means little. Any ideas?
Norm
Rectangle Wood Hardwood Auto part Metal
Rectangle Wood Beige Font Metal
Font Household hardware Symbol Metal Wood
Sports equipment Rolling Auto part Cylinder Metal

·
Super Moderator
2,789 Posts
It probably was originally with an '06 Navy from Wilhelmshaven. There may be navy mags used later that were pantographed with property numbers, but I've not seen one. (which doesn't mean a whole lot) ;) JIM

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have an '06 Navy mag. numbered to the gun, with WW 1275 pantographed (??) on the back bottom of the mag and below the grip safety.

PJH

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,114 Posts
Justin, I could be interested in this mag if you have no use for it? I have a couple of BUG proofed commercials.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I am with Jerry and Bill. There was a reason, that commercial magazines got the cal. 9mm stamp in this time. The crinp is unusual for mags for 1910. I have seen a lot of commercial mags during the last 40 years but none with a P. I remember some threads about this type of mag here in the forum....

·
Registered
684 Posts
I am with Jerry and Bill. There was a reason, that commercial magazines got the cal. 9mm stamp in this time. The crinp is unusual for mags for 1910. I have seen a lot of commercial mags during the last 40 years but none with a P. I remember some threads about this type of mag here in the forum....
The crimp does look somewhat half-moon shape indicating after 1911. . . ..but I think all 'p' marked commercial mags I have seen with this similar p on the lower spine have been earlier type mags for I assumed 1908 commercials.

Klaus, I thougt you had posted photos of a 'p' marked mag like this before? Keoki has some and I have two. Pomern has also posted photos of one. Sometimes the P is upright and sometimes it is on its side/horizontal.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Pistol,

you are right, I have a P marked Mag, but I havn´t remember it, sorry. I stopped collecting for 2008 and havn´t had some things in hands since that time. Den Rest schreib ich mal in Deutsch, sonst dauert es ewig …

Aufällig ist bei den DWM gefertigten Magazinen die Übereinstimmung fertigungstechnischer Merkmale bis zu einem unbestimmten Zeitpunkt hin. Dazu gehört die Krimpstelle im oberen Bereich, auffällig ist auch die Materialobeerfläche aber auch das Anschrägen des unteren Abschlusses im Bereich der Rückseite des Magazinbodens mittels Feile. Auch wenn ich nur noch eine begrenzte Anzahl an frühen Magazinen habe, so kann ich doch diese Übereinstimmung an allen Magazinen feststellen, bis auf das mit P auf der Magazinrückseite markierte Magazin. Es hat einen anderen Krimp, anderes Material und keine angeschrägte Rückseite und ist meines Erachtens ein Magazin aus Schweizer fertigung W&F 1900/06.

Auch wenn ich nur je ein DWM Magazin mit Cal. 9Mm habe, so haben diese kein P, aber alle anderen Merkmale, die das vermeintliche Schweizer Magazin von den zivilen frühen 9mm Magazinen unterscheiden.

Letztendlich beruhen meine Überlegungen auch nur auf Beobachtungen und Erfahrungen, jeder mag sich ein eigenes Bild machen und dann selbst zu einer Einschätzung kommen.

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
Here is a Google translation.

I'll write the rest in German, otherwise it will take forever.

What is striking in the case of the magazines manufactured by DWM is the consistency of manufacturing characteristics up to an indefinite point in time. This includes the crimping point in the upper area, the material surface is also striking, but also the beveling of the lower end in the area of the back of the magazine floor using a file. Although I only have a limited number of early magazines left, I can see this match in all but the magazine marked P on the back of the magazine. It has a different crimp, different material and no beveled back and in my opinion is a Swiss-made magazine W&F 1900/06.

Even if I only ever have one DWM magazine with Cal. 9mm, these have no P, but all other features that distinguish the supposed Swiss magazine from the civilian early 9mm magazines.

Ultimately, my considerations are based only on observations and experiences, everyone may form their own opinion and then come to their own assessment

·
Registered
684 Posts
I believe Keoki has two P marked mags that came with a nice mag pouch and a commercial rig. I have one that came in a 1910 dated Bavarian reichsrevolver conversion holster. I know another that came in a 1913 Bavarian rig with a nice older commercial holster. One I had also possessed the ringed base. I read some ringed based are also found in commercial mags early. Not sure where I read that.

Maybe we can gather more info from photos of other examples? I will share mine later.

I know the letter 'P' looks similar to the style of 'P' on the Prv stamp located inside the mag-well of some bug proofed commercials. The Swiss 'P' on black bottom mags is cursive. I have an early wood bottom Swiss mag, and the wood bottom is different than normal wood bottom mags. The radius looks different and the nice blue pin is also larger.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Ok, so my next few posts will have pics of known P marked mags.

First Keoki's really nice mags that came with his outstanding 1900 commercial holster and mag pouch. The two P stamps are horizontal.

I believe they came with a P08 with no hold open and a EWB branded grip. This was from his post above from Dec. 2010. A extraordinarily beautiful example of a 1908 commercial and early holster.

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
Next is a photo from a collector in Texas. Coincidentally, this was also with a commercial luger. Note this P is similar in style and size, but is upright. The example shown earlier by Klaus is also upright.

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
Now this next one came with a 1913 dated DWM with a Bavarian infantry unit regimental stamp that was in what appears to be a nice commercial type holster. However, the holster is dated 1915 with a Berlin maker mark.

Possibly not correct for a dated military P08, but maybe good for an officer with a purchased p08? Just listing what it came with.

Another example of a horizontal P stamp mag.

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
Next is another that has the horizontal P. Reportedly, this mag, and another one like it with an upright P, came out of a collection with a 1900 and a1906 commercial.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts