Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate any information or comments on this pistol that I recently acquired.
It has commercial proofs only. crown N on the barrel and Bolt. Crown U on the left side of the frame.
1920 Chamber date

Serial # 5968 m the full serial is on the bottom of the barrel, the front of the frame, and 5968 without the suffix is on the left side of the slide.

It seems to have added serials. The pistol is an import marked C.A.I. ST. ALB VT. on the bottom of the barrel. Surprisingly all the serials except on the extractor and the toggle pin. these serials have been "punched" out. Also the serial on the sideplate and the back of the toggle have a "." either before or after the serial #, is this a punch mark to test hardness?

The inside of the grips are not marked and the left one has a repair near the frame.

The inside of the grip frame is marked, L. P. Th. 760.

Is this a commercial that was taken into police service, and then used in Eastern Germany or Russia before import?

Can anyone translate the unit mark?

any comments appreciated. thanks, Frank

Download Attachment: DCP00591.JPG
244.58 KB

Download Attachment: DCP00595.JPG
166.16 KB

Download Attachment: DCP00596.JPG
191.31 KB

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,500 Posts
runner,

The unit mark means Landes Polizei (State Police) Thüringen, weapon no. 760. Apparently, two formats were used for marking the weapons of this unit, yours and L.P.Nr.xxxx. From the examples in my database of Weimar police unit marks, it appears that your format was used earlier than the other. One of these days I hope to research these. Thanks for posting your information.

I don't see any sign of a sear safety on this pistol. Is this correct?

I'll let others comment on the gun itself but there was considerable debate not long ago about the meaning of dots before or after the two digit s/ns. You might try searching "dots" on this and the LugerForum for more information.

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,500 Posts
Frank,

Yes, it's Weimar. I will be interested to learn what some of the experts on the forum conclude about when the Luger was manufactured. If the 1920 is a property stamp, your pistol may be what Jan Still has called an "Alphabet DWM", produced in 1924. Apparently, the 1920 property stamp was erroneously applied to some pistols produced later. I think more detailed photos will help a lot, including the proof marks on the receiver and barrel.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to the chart on page 15 of Jan's "Weimar and Early Nazi Lugers" the M suffix was produced in 1923. So I can't explain the 1920 property mark. The Proofs on both the barrel and frame are Crown N. I will try to get some better pictures posted tonight. thanks to all who provided information. Frank

·
Registered
24 Posts
hello members, my friend have a similar marked L.P.Th.Nr.15x in 79xxm range, Shiwy sear safety, only C/N proofed, 1920 on barrel chamber,9mm caliber, so its definitely a 1923/24 period made? best regards,Andy

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,500 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello, thanks for the quickly response, he will not all say, but i could get this, maybe it helps, the L.P.Th.Nr.14x is, DWM monogram on toggle, C/N markings, 791x m range, Schiwy safety, dont saw other magazine safety, but will look when i visit next time the man,the one magazine is matching, with sunburst S mark and nr.2, other is police missmatched but same nickled body and alu grip, photo is attached.best regards,Andy

Download Attachment: P08mag2.JPG
17.79KB

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.