Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a gun show in Dallas, I came across a guy who had a crate filled with Lugers which had been imported from Eastern Europe.
They were all wartime or prewar German manufactured.
They appeared to have been refinished in a dark black and most had mismatched parts.
I picked one out that was a 1936 S/42 with wooden grips. All the parts matched except the toggle. In the refinishing process they had carefully rubbed-out the two numerals on the top of the toggle. I bought it as a shooter and didn't pay very much for it, although I picked what I considered to be the best one out of the crate. Some were real junk with all mismatched numbers and even had plastic grips. Some had dark plastic grips with a bullseye in the middle.

What are these?
Are they capture weapons which had been refinished by a postwar Eastern European government?
The guy selling them said that the crate of them came from Russia and that the plastic grip with the bulleye was for "Vopo" weapons or "Volkspolizei" and were for the East Germans.
I had never heard of this and didn't know how reliable it was.
Anyway, I got a good shootable luger for very little cost.
Does anyone here know what these are?

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
What he told you is what the others imported into the US the last 10 (?) years were. Even the "real" junk ones would be worth something as parts...

I am curious, how much is "very little cost"??

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I paid $400 for it, that was about 7 years ago.
So, is that what they are; captured or surplus pieces that were reworked for the East German Police?
I wanted a good shooter and have been pleased with this one. The only thing that I really don't like is that there is a small importer's mark "GAI MIA FL" stamped on the underside of the barrel in bright letters. He explained that it was mandatory.

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
Yes, anything imported (military) must be import marked.

Essentially, there were two groups of guns that came in, like you are talking about;

1. East German guns that were reworked by the germans and stayed there, were used by the East Germans as a secondary weapon.

2. The Russians captured thousands of them, either from Germany or during the campaigns and they were put into storage for possible later use. Unsure if they were used by anyone.

The price you paid was about right back then, they are worth a $100-$150 now, all depending on condition.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.
I thought that I had gotten a better deal than that, since an all-matching/origional finish S/42 would have been worth about twice that amount.
The one that I have is a good reliable shooter.
The plastic grips looked very cheezy, so I made sure to pick one which had the checkered wood grips.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.