Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've observed that early Dreyse Model 1907 pistols are proofed with two crowns above a U. Later Dreyses are proofed with a crown over N. Can the date, or other details, of this change be established?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hello, our gun law in Germany requires to test fire the firearms.
Normally the Crown "U" is the meaning that it was inspected after tesfiring.
The crown "N" is meaning that it was test fired with smokeless powder with 30% higher pressure.

·
Registered
406 Posts
quote:Originally posted by pisto

Hello, our gun law in Germany requires to test fire the firearms.
Normally the Crown "U" is the meaning that it was inspected after tesfiring.
The crown "N" is meaning that it was test fired with smokeless powder with 30% higher pressure.
Well, I reckon that is one way to say it.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
9,924 Posts
It is mentioned in Dutch Lugers that the Crown U was a test proof as well but using black powder. Jerry Burney

·
Registered
446 Posts
German gun law § 19:

Blackpowder:
Eagle beside crown G = 1st testfiring with blackpoder for rifled barrels (first test firing is the meaning that just the barrel was proofed, if it stands the pressure without cracks - barrel is not added to the gun!)

single Eagle : Final testfiring (barrel and gun together)

"crown above U" : investigation after final testfiring
(that proof is alos on my pocket pistols from Mauser)

"crown above N" : Testfiring with Nitrocellulose powder (smokeless powder)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Pisto
Good stuff, do you know if their is any correlation to the info you provided as to the early BUG proof on the P08 versus the later crown over N.

Have had a chance to do some checking on my own question. answer yes.

·
Registered
446 Posts
LUGERLOU;
i can answer the U and G on the BUG proofed Lugers, but I´m still missing the B ?
I unfortunately don´t own a 1900 Luger, but will see what happens in future - and will still make some research!

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Piso and Lugerlou,

Hereby a quote extracted from the presentation of a BUG proofed P-08 Commercial, in the 1900-1908 DWM Forum at http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=108

"1908 Commercial production presents the transition from the early BUG proof marks to the Nitro proof Crown/N. This pistol displays the early marks. Crown/B and Crown/U are found on the breechblock and left receiver, Crown/G is added on the barrel. B is the overload test proof specified by the proof law of 1892; it also denotes a completely finished pistol. U represents the word Untersuchung (inspected). G is found only on the barrel, and represents the word Gezogen (rifled) (from Costanzo, p. 196)."

--Dwight

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Dwight

Thankyou for info,Costanzo is where I had checked but did not see it at first glance.It is a good thing that the German people were meticulous and consistant in there practice of proofing as it aids in research.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts