Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within an estate from another collector I found a Vopo I`ve never seen befor...

What do you think?

In a few days I will acquire this Luger - than I will send more detailed Infos...

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Very interesting IMO. Completely reworked but that's normal for VoPo Lugers. WW2 era Mauser frame and WW1 receiver. Probably a new EG barrel. The side plate and locking bolt are replacements. The "T" over the chamber is interesting as is the name on the front toggle. Unique to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
Interesting pistol indeed.

The famous 2-stroke East-German Trabant car was made in Zwickau.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The P08 frame marking looks odd to me, too small as well as somewhat out of location . Possibly applied during rework and the Zwickau toggle marking is certainly a new one on me!

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
The big question is who did the markings and when. Since the East-Germans didn't give a hoot about markings on guns they reworked, I think this gun was marked somewhere during WW2, possibly to serve as a factory or community guard pistol somewhere in Zwickau.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
The big question is who did the markings and when. Since the East-Germans didn't give a hoot about markings on guns they reworked, I think this gun was marked somewhere during WW2, possibly to serve as a factory or community guard pistol somewhere in Zwickau.
Since we are all guessing my guess it is marked after the war it has to many other issues, but what ever it is from my home town a nice odd find.
Happy Hunting!
Peter

·
2,495 Posts
Well... it was constructed on a pitted Mauser (hump visible) frame from 1937-1940... Stamped and engraved before refinishing. They were compelled to add the "P08" (not P.08) for unknown reasons. Is the frame the normal thickness, or was a layer milled off it? "T" engraved over chamber?

Why? Probably impossible to determine... I'm not even sure why we'd think it was a VoPo (the grips could have come from just about any parts source...). And as Vlim observes, the VoPo armorers didn't care a bit about these markings.

Best guess? Someone with a connection to Zwickau and some gunsmith skill put together a Luger for themselves...

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
The addition of the P08 marking on the frame points towards pre-1945 (end of war) work, in my opinion. Adding the P08 marking after WW2 didn't make much sense as nobody required the marking to be there, except the German army until the end of WW2, and even then for a limited time frame.

Of course, when it is a GDR rework, we have to consider the possibility that it is a rework of a rework, muddling the waters even more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts