Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ordered a set of replacement grips that arrived today. i'm returning them because one is cracked, but i also noticed the left grip has no metal insert visible. these are 1w over 31 grips, my original grips are 1w over 41, and have the metal inserts on both. shouldn't the left replacement grip have the insert?

also, my old grip screw does not fit; it's too large (diameter). it will not fit through the left grip nor screw into the right. were there really two different sizes of grip screws?

thanks again to all for the continued help.

· Registered
3,508 Posts
Atarian,

Here is a link to my information on P38 grips.

http://www.p38guns.com/Gripinfo.htm

Did you order a set of repro grips? I have never seen a set of aftermarket grips that fits on a P38 correctly.

The grips screws from WWII to post war P1's are all the same size. I would wait to see if a set of WWII grips turns up, made by Julius Posselt, for your gun. Expect to spend at least $100.00 for a nice set, if you are lucky.

Mark

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi mark:
these appear to be real p-38 grips, but the grip screw issue makes me wonder. at least they were advertised as real, and i bought them believing them to be real. the markings on the back are identical to my existing grips in every respect, except mine are 41's and these are 31's. in any event, because they were advertised as 'no cracks' they are going back. you're right, i paid $100 for them. on another note, i saw (horror of horrors), a nickel plated p-38 at the last gun show for $200. barrel was a sewer pipe but the grips were very good. i may buy it just for the grips if it's still there next weekend. if i find it again, i'll post a picture. it'll make you cry.

· Registered
3,508 Posts
Atarian,

Make sure the grips on the plated gun are correct for a Spreewerk pistol. If you can take the grips off the gun they will be marked with a 1W in the upper circle with a 31 or 41 under it. That is the manufactures code according to the State Material Supervising and Testing Bureau in Dahlem (MD) and stands for Julius Posselt.

If you can't remove the grip from the gun it should have 5 broken lines around the grips screws and a long first line.

The plated gun would make a good "shooter" if you put post war grips on it and change out the recoil springs.

Good Luck!

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.