Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up this converted CZ 24 holster at a small gun show recently. It has some interesting stamps under the flap, including a Czech-lion 1925-dated one; one in large block letters that might be "DP.SYA" or possibly "DP.54A" and one that looks to read "P.39 (something)". It doesn't look like a "P 39 (t)" stamp, but it's close, and the ink looks World War II-period German. However, I know the holster wouldn't work for a CZ 38.

To me the conversion looks like a professional World War II-German job, considering the color, stitching, placement of the closure strap and stud, and the type of stud. But who knows? I may be way off. I've never seen one like it. Did the Germans do any systematic CZ 24 holster conversions?

Please feel free to chime in with knowledge and opinions! I have a few wartime CZ 24, 27 and 38 pistols and holsters, but I'm sort of stumped by this holster. Thanks....

Bumper Rectangle Leather Fashion accessory Metal
Brown Natural material Wood Foot Human leg
Brown Motor vehicle Wood Font Handwriting
Helmet Wood Font Personal protective equipment Shadow
Brown Tire Automotive tire Wood Natural material
Brown Wood Hat Artifact Trunk
Wood Gas Audio equipment Auto part Bumper

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
In late 1943 or 45 the Nazi's ordered all leather gear dyed black. Your holster is an original CZ 24 holster that was brown while in the Czech Army and dyed and the conversion looks wartime to me. The CZ 24's were coveted by the Nazi SS and the Luftwaffe.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
It appears to have been dyed black. Maybe it was converted for poilce use.
An order from the Ordnungspolizei dated May 18, 1944 referencing Pistolentaschen (t): Czech pistol holsters required those holsters of Czech manufacture that have the main latching stud on the magazine pouch to be modified by respective local armorers to remove that stud from the mag pouch. There was concern of damage to the magazines if presure was applied against the front of the holster. We cannot assume the Vz 24 was issued for III Reich police usage as there is no specification in that order of a Vz 24. A Vz 27 could have been carried in it or something else. I have seen two variations of the modification with the stud either being relocated to the flap or to the body next to the mag pouch. Both of these remained original brown finish.

I am not aware of any order by any authority in the Third Reich requiring all leather gear to be dyed black. If such an order was given, they missed quire a few brown holsters.

·
Platinum Bullet Member 2012
923 Posts
Thanks Roy. That's good information. I have heard or read someplace about holsters being required to be dyed black as moosedog stated. A whole lot of brown holsters showed up after the war so the order was either ignored or was specific to certain groups.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Thanks Roy. That's good information. I have heard or read someplace about holsters being required to be dyed black as moosedog stated. A whole lot of brown holsters showed up after the war so the order was either ignored or was specific to certain groups.
I presume you are referring to those holsters flooding the market from the cache found the former USSR? Well, there were a many brown German holsters in shows for sale when I started collecting in the early 70s, so I am very skeptical of such an order. Any documentation?

·
Platinum Bullet Member 2012
923 Posts
Yes, I'm referring to bring-backs that came with brown holsters. I have several brown holsters as well as black. I think we are on the same wavelength, if an order was given for all non-black holsters to be dyed black, I see no evidence of it. I wasn't referring to the holsters coming out of Russia.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An order from the Ordnungspolizei dated May 18, 1944 referencing Pistolentaschen (t): Czech pistol holsters required those holsters of Czech manufacture that have the main latching stud on the magazine pouch to be modified by respective local armorers to remove that stud from the mag pouch. There was concern of damage to the magazines if presure was applied against the front of the holster. We cannot assume the Vz 24 was issued for III Reich police usage as there is no specification in that order of a Vz 24. A Vz 27 could have been carried in it or something else. I have seen two variations of the modification with the stud either being relocated to the flap or to the body next to the mag pouch. Both of these remained original brown finish.

I am not aware of any order by any authority in the Third Reich requiring all leather gear to be dyed black. If such an order was given, they missed quire a few brown holsters.
Thanks much for all the comments so far. The 5-18-44 Ordnungspolizei order is particularly interesting. Now I'm hoping for information on some of the stampings inside this holster's flap. I know the Czech lion/1925 one has been discussed in other posts, but I'd like to learn about the ones starting with "DP" and "P.39". Are they Czech? My apologies if they've been discussed elsewhere and I just missed the posts.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Congrats on a rare pickup. I have one as well. the inside markings are Czech leftovers from when it was originally made. Mine has a P24 which was the depot it was issued to. The Nazis did issue an order to convert them as stated earlier. The holster could have been modified for either the Cz24 or 27.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I have a black holster my PPk pistol came in that is made of heavy paper. There are ware spots on the high points of the holster like the outside of the mag. pocket and part of the top flap. Does anyone know anything about such holsters ? Thanks

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have a black holster my PPk pistol came in that is made of heavy paper. There are ware spots on the high points of the holster like the outside of the mag. pocket and part of the top flap. Does anyone know anything about such holsters ? Thanks
I've seen quite a few of these over the years. They often have leather parts such as mag pouch, closure strap, or belt loop. These are not common as they might have worn more quickly in service than leather holsters.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
holster ---- Thanks for your reply. The closure strap and the belt loop are leather but everything else is heavy paper. I'm sure these holsters wore out pretty fast and were discarded early. I'm glad to have one that shows how desperate Germany must have been for materials along toward the end. Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts