Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased this FN Model 1922. The photos below is the only photos I have at this time, the gun is still with the dealer. Trying to get a date on the year of manufacture. The serial number is 283,421 (I inserted the comma) and gun is Cal: .380 ACP. Any info would be appreciated

Pierre

Attachments

· Registered
525 Posts
Hm. I probably don’t know enough about these, but I’m puzzled by seeing no serial in the usual spot nor any proofs or other markings where they usually are to be found. The serial is only on the barrel bushing?

· Registered
224 Posts
Well, it's a mess.
No proofs, no inspectors marks, no frame serial,
an unmatched (differently blued) and unbeveled barrel cap
with a post war serial. And a WWII (probably) parkerized
spare magazine (is the other parkerized too?)

Although it's frequently asserted on very thin evidence,
this one does look like a "lunchbox" gun removed from the factory.
But the frame and slide blue look correct.

It's a very nice looking 1922, in any event.
I await other opinions/analysis!

EDIT: and while typing my reply, absalom said essentially the same

EDIT 2: I completely forgot about the late production grip serials.
And I've consulted the AV book dozens of times....
Disregard everything I wrote. I'm a schmuck.
See Dutch Arms /Marck's reply below.

· Registered
80 Posts
Hello Pierre,

The slide of this pistol bears the new factory name of FN so will be from after 1971. There will probably be a number, possibly with the last two digits of the year of production, on the front of the grip. This can be found in the English language book about - FN Browning Pistols pistols (2013) - by Anthony Vanderlinden. There will be a new edition of his book on FN pistols. Presumably there will be more markings (numbers) on different parts from which the exact production date can be deduced, these numbers are also in the mentioned book. The plastic box (provided it originally belonged to the pistol) and the wide grip safety also point to a product from after 1970.

Regards,

Marck

· Registered
525 Posts
Hello Pierre,

The slide of this pistol bears the new factory name of FN so will be from after 1971. There will probably be a number, possibly with the last two digits of the year of production, on the front of the grip.
Good work, Marck!

We have a winner, I think. The number is clearly visible, IF you know to look there. I didn't notice the new name either. Must be getting old.

Composite material Bicycle part Gun accessory Font Trigger

· Registered
224 Posts
Good work, Marck!

We have a winner, I think. The number is clearly visible, IF you know to look there. I didn't notice the new name either. Must be getting old.

View attachment 667280
Hello Pierre,

The slide of this pistol bears the new factory name of FN so will be from after 1971. There will probably be a number, possibly with the last two digits of the year of production, on the front of the grip. This can be found in the English language book about - FN Browning Pistols pistols (2013) - by Anthony Vanderlinden. There will be a new edition of his book on FN pistols. Presumably there will be more markings (numbers) on different parts from which the exact production date can be deduced, these numbers are also in the mentioned book. The plastic box (provided it originally belonged to the pistol) and the wide grip safety also point to a product from after 1970.

Regards,

Marck
Obviously correct. My earlier comment was masterful self-deception and nonsense.
Thanks for nicely done analysis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.