Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a dipped tangent were the blue shines though the dipp is that strange and under the tangent site is mr is that correct? i used to think it was reblued until i asked on this site and found out it was dipped but is a dipped gun no other modifications better then a reblued gun or the same?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok but a dipped captured russian tangent may have seen more combat then an original finnish tangent besides its shows the blue good,by the way is the mr under the tangent correct?
i carry it dally as a ccw.

·
Registered
75 Posts
quote:Originally posted by bigron

ok but a dipped captured russian tangent may have seen more combat then an original finnish tangent besides its shows the blue good,by the way is the mr under the tangent correct?
I do not know of any HPs that came out of Russia and were ever imported into the U.S. The Russian blue (black) can easily be removed.
You may want to consider changing your carry gun if this is a WaA140 marked gun. I have had numerous reports of WaA140 pistols causing problems due to the widespread heat treatment sabotage that was going on at FN. (front sights falling of, ejectors breaking, and other small parts breakage) Luckily nobody has ever reported any accidents but these are more collectable pieces than shooters.
Anthony Vanderlinden

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Bigron,

A reblued gun will have the original finish removed and restored in a "hot blue" bath, some reblues are not restored but refinished and polished before the blue was applied.

The Russians took guns with the original finish, degreased them and put them in a "cold blue". This finish doesn't stick well to nicely a blued area but will stick to areas that are bare steel such as holster wear or springs and pins that were "in the white".

Most all guns that the Russians "captured" at the end of WWII were "dipped" like K98 rifles and P.38's. I have no doubt that you could have a HP that was also captured. Some "dip" is thicker than others over the original finish as I have seen in P.38's.

I have a WII US Colt 1911 that was sent to Russia for the lend lease program in 1943 and they "dipped" the gun over the original parkerized finish! The gun was unfired when it was "dipped", (they had no quantity of .45 ammo) it also has German proof markings on it but no import markings serial number 914802. It is G.H.D. marked, all matching including the slide. The dealer wanted a lot more money for the W.B. marked gun which also sold the day they arrived in the U.S, only a handful arrived in that shipment about 5 years ago.....

I suppose that I should take some pictures of that gun and post them.

Mark

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i had my gunsmith check it out and have put hundreds of rounds though it i went though ccw class with it, there has been debate about employes at fn sabotaging guns in fact i think there was a thread here or was it on the p38 site on the very subject some say they did some say they didt, a lot of people somehow forget that the guns in ww2 are not fragile they were ment as combat weapons some were better then others the hi-power imho was the best gun on ether side of ww2, as far as coming from russia it has no import mark but the dealer i bought it from had a bunch of dipped p38s and thats were he said it came from plus it has pitting under the dipp on the front site and the tangent so it was dipped somewhere here or there it still has a lot of original bluing it shows though the dipp you can see where the dipp stuck to the places that the original bluing wore off of on the plus side i paid 700 for it and have you seen the prices of new hi powers it has a excellent bore shots real good with hydra-shok looks good and is a part of history.

·
Registered
75 Posts

i had my gunsmith check it out and have put hundreds of rounds though it i went though ccw class with it, there has been debate about employes at fn sabotaging guns in fact i think there was a thread here or was it on the p38 site on the very subject some say they did some say they didt, a lot of people somehow forget that the guns in ww2 are not fragile they were ment as combat weapons some were better then others the hi-power imho was the best gun on ether side of ww2, as far as coming from russia it has no import mark but the dealer i bought it from had a bunch of dipped p38s and thats were he said it came from plus it has pitting under the dipp on the front site and the tangent so it was dipped somewhere here or there it still has a lot of original bluing it shows though the dipp you can see where the dipp stuck to the places that the original bluing wore off of on the plus side i paid 700 for it and have you seen the prices of new hi powers it has a excellent bore shots real good with hydra-shok looks good and is a part of history.
It may be a debate for some on boards (like everything is) but not for me as I have copies of the wartime incident reports and what was actually done. Sabotage was rampant and heat treatment was the method of choice as it could not be detected by the inspectors. These late guns are fragile and prone to breakage. The High Power was never meant to be fired with +P loads or hydro shock especially those late war guns.
Anthony Vanderlinden

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
quote:Originally posted by FNitis

I do not know of any HPs that came out of Russia and were ever imported into the U.S. The Russian blue (black) can easily be removed.
You may want to consider changing your carry gun if this is a WaA140 marked gun. I have had numerous reports of WaA140 pistols causing problems due to the widespread heat treatment sabotage that was going on at FN. (front sights falling of, ejectors breaking, and other small parts breakage) Luckily nobody has ever reported any accidents but these are more collectable pieces than shooters.
Anthony Vanderlinden
I saw one about a year or so ago. It was at the gun show table of a dealer who only sells the recent imports ---> such as the Finn type rifles, RC K98s, etc. He had several pistols one of which was a '480' code P38 and the Hi-Power. He said all of them were RC pistols. The Hi-Power (finish wise) looked like the other RC pistols such as P38s. It was a WaA 140 Hi-Power. I thought it was sort of interesting but paid no more attention as I did not need another 140 marked pistol.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts

It may be a debate for some on boards (like everything is) but not for me as I have copies of the wartime incident reports and what was actually done. Sabotage was rampant and heat treatment was the method of choice as it could not be detected by the inspectors. These late guns are fragile and prone to breakage. The High Power was never meant to be fired with +P loads or hydro shock especially those late war guns.
Anthony Vanderlinden
I had a low "b" suffix Hi-Power that I used for a number of years -- with no problems. (It was not in collectable condition.) I used all types of surplus 9mm. But, as Anthony correctly said, I started hearing a number of reports of problems with the WWII Hi-Powers --- too many to ignore. So I replaced the pistol. Maybe I had one of the good ones and/or maybe I was lucky. But why push it -- when those reports kept coming up?

·
Registered
75 Posts

...i trust it and thats all that matters, by the way is a gun made in nov 1941 considerd a late war gun?

bigron
No, that is considered an early gun, similar in quality as the prewar guns. Those are not the 'problem' guns I refer to, I have not heard of any problems with the WaA103 or even early WaA140 pistols. The guns I refer to are the ones that were made in '43 and '44 when the labor force at FN changed.

Anthony Vanderlinden

·
Registered
75 Posts
quote:Originally posted by cpw

Anthony Vanderlinden
I had a low "b" suffix Hi-Power that I used for a number of years -- with no problems. (It was not in collectable condition.) I used all types of surplus 9mm. But, as Anthony correctly said, I started hearing a number of reports of problems with the WWII Hi-Powers --- too many to ignore. So I replaced the pistol. Maybe I had one of the good ones and/or maybe I was lucky. But why push it -- when those reports kept coming up?
Thanks Charles for backing me on this. As you correctly state, the reports of small parts breakage are too numerous to ignore.
Anthony Vanderlinden

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah when i first got it i asked on this board when it was made and was told nov-dec 41 seral number is 125638, if it would help i could replace all the small parts including the extractor i dont know what the balistics of non +P hydra shock vs the 9mm loadings the germans used but have been told they were about the same but mostly i shoot winchester 115 white box though it, i know there are better carry guns out there sig,glock,etc new hi power but i like the history of this one in fact thats why i bought it after it was dipped to be able to shoot it i have enough guns i only touch with gloves on and i only paid 700 for it and have you seen the price of a new hi power so i dont feel bad even though people told me i over paid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.