Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I studied this Cole Dist. pistol the other day. The S.St. are followed by what appears to be I.7.119. ... very difficult to read since they have been X'ed out. After the X'ed out area is 700.

All numbers match. The top of the receiver is scrubbed smooth. Pistol has a very black/gray finish. Grips are black plastic with long striations such as on a Ballester-Molina.

Buttstock lug is present. There are no WaAmpt. Only markings are:

Left side of receiver...Crown over N. Fraktur G with a heavy bar overhead.

Right side: nothing

Underside of barrel: droop wing bird over SN over G (heavy bar may be a very short crown).

Any insight greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Hi Mark,
You have what sounds like a Russian reworked Police Luger. The striated grips are Russian.
The Prussian police grip marking is as follows:

S= Scutzpolizei(Municipal Police)
St.= Stettin (name of city)
I = 1st Centuria (Unit or District)
7 = Sector within the Centuria (precinct)
119 = Weapon number

The 700 is possibly a Russian marking. Not sure, but I don't believe it has anything to do with the German police marking. Is the pistol import marked?

Ron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pistol is import marked by Coles Distributing. Unlike a previous Russian capture P08, there are no crossed rifles type capture mark.

Was the top of the receiver scrubbed or was this plain from the outset? Any idea as to the year of manufacture?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate all of the info so far.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Mark, Without photos, it's hard to say. It could be a "sneak", produced without the year of manufacture.
Do you have a Luger with crossed rifles on the chamber? Most Russian captures have an X stamped on them, but not distinct crossed rifles.
Ron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear Ron,

I am guilty of descriptive sloppiness. The Luger I owned had the X and not crossed rifles. Sometimes the X and the rifles are used interchangably for descriptive purposes on Tuco's Collectors' Forum.

Didn't Prussia cease to exist at the end of WWI? If the pistol has Prussian Police Markings, then wouldn't it have been issued to those folks prior to the end of WWI?

I deeply appreciate y'alls input on this pistol.

One more question, who did the Soviets issue these to once they obtained them?

Sincerely,
Mark Kelley

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Mark,
Prussia and Bavaria remained as states(for lack of the proper term) in Germany through the Weimar period.I am not that knowlegable on this aspect. Prussian Police used a different marking method than the Bavarian Police.

If you are going to get into police unit marks? Try to find a copy of Görtz and Bryans German Small Arms Markings, it is invaluable for research on police markings.

Ron

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
mark, I think all have done pretty well without pictures... It really is hard to guess what you are seeing.

Usually a "G" here or there is an acceptance or proof, and that is what I guess it is, but pictures would make many things clear, because a g under a grip is one thing, a g on the right another, a g under the serial number means another...

Ed

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,500 Posts
From the description, the pistol is an r-block Alphabet DWM manufactured in 1928 and issued to the Schutzpolizei in the Stettin District of the Prussian Province of Pommern. The specific city within that district would be designated by the "I" and is probably the city of Stettin itself, but there is no verification of this. The "R" stands for "Revierhauptmannschaft" which were essentially "riot police." Supposedly, these units were disbanded in 1924 (Weimar Lugers, p. 196) but the existence of this mark on a gun manufactured in 1928 indicates they may have been resurrected. I know of at least two other Lugers having similar characteristics.

I believe the x'd out part of the mark was replaced with the weapon number 700. This may have been a result of consolidating the weapons inventory of the entire Stettin district, eliminating the markings for subordinate units. This is similar to what happened in Berlin (note difference in the 1922 and 1932 marking orders for Berlin).

Does this Luger have sear and/or mag safeties? I would certainly appreciate seeing photos of the grip strap mark.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.