Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 1913 Erfurt that has the added sear safety. Does that have any affect on the value of the pistol, one way or the other? Thanks, Chris...

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The sear safety was a requirement for guns made for the police issue so it would depend on when it was added to the gun. The value is much more dependent on condition and parts matching. Posting pics would allow for a better discussion.
John

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
5,317 Posts
Hi Chris,
As a Military collector I would never consider buying a gun with a Police safety unless it was such a rare variation that I would be unlikely to find an unconverted gun. Police collectors, I'm sure, would think differently.
Norm

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
As a very "general" rule, police lugers (with sear and/or mag safety) sell for less than an un-modified but similar luger. IMO.
What sellers ask for them is subject to very wide variation.

Some folks won't even buy a "police" luger, and look down on them for some reason; but, I kind of like them- well enough to have way too many- but then I love the history inherent in police lugers.

·
Administrator
13,075 Posts
Adds history to me

generally worth less

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
I have one in my collection. I think they're an important part of the Luger history.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
3,300 Posts
To me, Police Lugers hold a unique niche in the history of the pistol. There are several ways to identify a Police Luger. The safeties, sear and magazine, markings on the pistol and matching serial numbers on a police rig. These are attributes that were used during the Weimar Period, a unique time in Germany's History.
They do tend to be a little cheaper, but that's a good thing. You can buy about three good Police Lugers for what one good H&K goes for. For what you would pay for a good navy, you can buy two good Police Lugers.
I resisted collecting Police Lugers, the first time I collected Lugers, but I've now grown to appreciate them.
Pat

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
5,317 Posts
They do tend to be a little cheaper, but that's a good thing. You can buy about three good Police Lugers for what one good H&K goes for. For what you would pay for a good navy, you can buy two good Police Lugers.
I resisted collecting Police Lugers, the first time I collected Lugers, but I've now grown to appreciate them.
Pat
I'd much rather have one good Navy than three good Police Lugers, but that's just me.
Norm

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
3,300 Posts
Now, now, Norm,

I'm perfectly happy for you to grab-up two or three navies while I'm grabbing-up eight or ten Police Lugers. When the government grabs all of our guns and takes them to the scrap metal dealers, we see who's ahead.:p
Pat

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
5,317 Posts
Now, now, Norm,

I'm perfectly happy for you to grab-up two or three navies while I'm grabbing-up eight or ten Police Lugers. When the government grabs all of our guns and takes them to the scrap metal dealers, we see who's ahead.:p
Pat
Hi Pat,
You're probably right, I guess I'm a little eccentric, I don't buy Lugers by weight.
Best, regards, Norm

·
Moderator - Diamond Bullet Member
2,627 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts