Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a double date DWM luger 1918/1920 matching numbers 8513-a. It also has a unit ID number on the frame/handle of 3./A.R.6.6.

In the back it has 3.6.

Can anyone tell me a little about this? i.e. the unit history etc?

Thanks Frank

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Frank
Your Luger was manufactured by DWM in 1918 for the Imperial German Army. Sometime between late 1920 and early 1921 a 1920 Reichswehr property stamp was added. By orders dated 9 April 9, 1921 a partial transitional property stamp consisting of the batterie and weapons number: 3.6, was added to the rear of your Luger. Finally by orders dated 1 November 1922 the final full unit stamp was added to the front strap 3./A.R.6.6. I would estimate that this signifies 3rd Batterie of the 6th Artillerie-Regiment weapon number 6.
Jan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So all those numbers where not added until after the war? So for us novices this translates to the 3rd Battery of the 6th Artillery regiment weapon #6. So they numbered them down to not just the unit but also the number in side the unit. So this is really a unique number then?

Now any way to tell if this gun was used in WWII at all?

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Frank
Pistols were always in demand in the German Army. Your Luger was almost certainally used by the German military during World war II.

However, I do not have the information to trace your unit during World War II. Perhaps other members do.
Jan
"So this is really a unique number then?" Yes. The weapon number 6 applies to your Luger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.