Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just obtained an Erfurt double dated Luger 1914-1920E. Not sure I understand what the E stands for? Thoughts?
Thank you

·
Registered
236 Posts
A nice clear photo of the stamped section might be helpful. To my knowledge the 1920 property mark never had suffixes of any kind.

PS: Amazing what the forum search function can do. Apparently the E is an unexplained thing:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yes, that looks like the same perpetrator as the stamping in the old thread. The same style of E. So the 1920 and the E appear not to be random.

Automotive tire Font Automotive wheel system Auto part Engineering

·
Administrator
13,820 Posts
I have never seen one in person like this - is there a word for temporary or the like start with an E in German?

I am moving this - it should be posted in the WW1 area or the Weimar area or New Collectors. Not Frequently Asked Questions

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
3,692 Posts
Ed,
In Gortz and Sturgess book, "Pistole Parabellum", Vol. 2, page 734, is a translation of the directive, "Disarming of the German People". It says that certain civil servants and state officials were exempt from this directive. This "E" after the 1920 may indicate that this gun has been checked and that the owner is authorized to posses the gun.
Pat

·
Registered
236 Posts
The problem with considering any “common” issue as an explanation for the E is its rarity.

Two widely separate specimen means it is a thing, but 15 years since the last thread (which also came up empty) indicates it was a very small batch, possibly at one location for a one-time purpose.

Another random guess: Export? Did the Reichswehr ship a batch of pistols to a friendly country, and marked them thus so they wouldn‘t count against the total? Just a possibility.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hmmmmm, are there not some swiss Lugers with an (capital) "E" within the e-series ("Experience")....
May be there is a link...?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just obtained an Erfurt double dated Luger 1914-1920E.
Did you get yours from Simpson? I can’t tell from the pictures, but if you didn’t there was another Erfurt 1914/1920E that just sold there.

·
Super Moderator
4,186 Posts
I think it is a provisional property marking. Most likely for the Erfurt district.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you get yours from Simpson? I can’t tell from the pictures, but if you didn’t there was another Erfurt 1914/1920E that just sold there.

Yes I did. I was looking for a 1914 as well as a double dated luger for my collection. Found this one.. Very interesting ideas of what the E stands for. Thanks to everyone who added their knowledge on the subject.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts