Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My guess is I probably just need to be directed to the right thread because this ground has no-doubt been covered before, but here goes: I have a 1920 Commercial alphabet Luger. The barrel doesn't match, but it seems all the other numbers do. I have fired 500-600 rounds through it and have had some small issues, but generally it's functioned well for a 100-year-old firearm. I had it at the range the other day and experienced a double-fire (one trigger pull, two rounds fired in very fast succession). It only happened once and I then went on to shoot four more magazines through it without the issue repeating.

I'm not a Luger expert (this is my only one), but to the naked eye nothing looks particularly worn - though I have noticed that the disconnect plunger (I think that's what it's called) underneath the sideplate, has sometimes been slow to reset - I've been reluctant to totally disassemble it as it usually works just fine if I give it a couple of seconds to warm up after the first round (and frankly haven't been quite sure how). Is this possibly related? If not, what are some other likely culprits for double firing?

Peter

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Check the firing pin and the channel it fits in and make sure there is no debris. Also make sure it is oiled well enough that it moves freely. If it still does it I would suspect the disconnector.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had the exact same issue with a shooter Luger about 3 years ago. My gunsmith simply told me it was the firing pin. I didn't get into details about what exactly it was with the firing pin but it took him less than 10 min to fix for me. Greg

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Clean well and re-lube; while you are cleaning all, soak the disconnector end of the sear bar in a container of your favorite penetrating oil-should free it up if sticky.

If the plunger is still "slow", take it apart and clean out the gunk/rust that is probably there. Not a big deal if you are careful to not lose the pieces!
A paper clip will "usually" move the small pin, if not you will have to fabricate a very small punch. Clean with a small brush and flush out, then re-assemble, it will be obvious how the plunger goes in, and the slot for the pin is off-set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.