Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
41 - 60 of 132 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
I will place the data for this pistol here before I place it up for auction this week. I hope this information helps the cause!

Serial Number=241224
Grasping Grooves=Slanted
Rear Sight=High version
Grip Screw=Middle of grips
Maker=RHEINMETALL
Other=Marked GERMANY indicating possible US import.

· Copper Bullet Member
1,001 Posts
bayard, more data:

S/N 135981
Matching Magazine
Imperial Mark
Reinforced Rear Sight
Center Grip Screw
Proof Mark is C/N

Rheinmetallwaaren-& Maschinenfabrik
Ast. Sömmerda

Front Grip Strap Unit Mark: S.St. 204.

Let me know if you require any other data!!

· Registered
77 Posts
Two more for your data base.

First,
Serial Number - 222305
Proof - C/N
Grasping Grooves - Slanted, grooves recessed into slide
Rear Sight - Reinforced version
Grip Screw - Middle of grips
Maker - "Rheinische"
Other - Marked "R.F.V. No.5001"

Second,
Serial Number - 246417
Proof - C/N
Grasping Grooves - Slanted, grooved section milled into a raised surface on slide
Rear Sight - Reinforced version
Grip Screw - Middle of grips
Maker - No marking except proofs and logo on grips "RMF"
Other - Marked "Germany"

Sorry no pictures....no camera!

· Registered
111 Posts
#18094x imp "JR4 18.11/k16--jager induction station #4
#13898x imp
#18395x austrian marked Wn/eagle/17
#19378x " " Wn/eagle/15
note: dates on above two are correct.
#5288x marked 'STRBG POL PRA3. No 9'--Strassbourg police Dist3 #9 not imp marked--but obvious military pre WWi--Strassbourg is French after WWi.
#13143x comm austrian proofed NPv 1917
dg13

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
<<#19378x austrian marked Wn/eagle/15>>

This pistol is particularly interesting, especially since you confirmed the date. There has long been debate about what year production of these pistols ended. I've heard 1914, 1915, and 1918 among other years.

Are you able to post photos of this pistol? If a serial number this high had already been manufactured by 1915 or earlier, the history of these Dreyses may become significantly clearer. I hope to hear much more about your pistol.

· Registered
111 Posts
Sorry I don't have a camera--but the pistol was sold anyway. The one dated in 1917 is more interesting to me because it was 1917. Thus proving they were mfged at least to that serial number by that date. I personally think that the Npv marked and dated is very close to the mfg date. They were bought 'off the press' by Steyr and sold to officers!. The Wn/eagle/1917 could have been a "donation by the public" and accepted by the common army because the need was great.
DG13

· Platinum Bullet Member 2012
981 Posts
My late contribution:
Ser. No.: 229053
Proof: C/N
Grasping Grooves: Slanted
Rear Sight: Reinforced
Grips: Screw in middle
Maker: Rheinische
Marked: On the left frame just above the trigger guard is stamped "23P. 192.". On the right frame just above the trigger guard is stamped "CRS 22". The C and S are stamped slightly on top of the R. The 23P. 192. stamp is just like the one on the frame of my CZ 22 which has the stamp "20 P. 5." which I am told is a Czechoslovak military regimental marking meaning 20th Infantry Regiment. In Jan Skramoussky's book, Ceskoslovenske Pistole 1918-1985, on page 22 in the English summary he tells how after WWI the Czechoslovak Republic was in need of "hand-operated" fire arms and how the new founded army had to use material which remained after the war or was brought back by Czech legions. He lists a number of types of pistols they used before they began manufacturing their own and the Dreyse 1907 fits well into that category. So I don't think it is too much of a reach to think this pistol may have been used by the Czechoslovak military after WWI.

· Registered
980 Posts
Here is a Dreyse commercial police pistol model that may help you in your studies. This pistol is serial number 82xx and has crown/crown/U proofs. It was originally issued to the Imperial Frankfurt Police but subsequently remained in police service after the end of WWI and was stamped with the "1920" property stamp on the center of the left side of the slide in accordance with the August 1920 instructions published in the Heeres-Verordnungsblatt, Vol.2, No.50, P.704.

Download Attachment: Dreyse.JPG
50.17 KB

View of the markings on the left side of this pistol.

Download Attachment: Dreyse markings.JPG
46.79 KB

This pistol remained in police service during the time of the Weimar Republic and was subsequently transferred to the Schutzpolizei Wiesbaden and was so marked on the gripstrap pursuant to both the 1922 and 1932 Prussian Police marking regulations.

Download Attachment: Dreyse SW markings.JPG
22.14 KB

Any idea of when this particular pistol was manufactured?

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
<<Any idea of when this particular pistol was manufactured?>>

I think the crown over u proofs mean that it's earlier than 1912. Someone here surely has more expertise on German proofs than I do though.

I've seen several pistols in this serial range, all with the same bullseye style safety with concentric rings.

· Registered
165 Posts
I picked this one up on a internet auction. Probably paid to much but not often you get a chance to buy a serial #100.

Serial Number - 100
Proof - CC/U and C/N
Grasping Grooves - vertical
Grip Screw - Edge of grips
Maker - "Rheinische"
Other - Does not have Dreyse on side has K.S.Gend.100 in its place.

Download Attachment: Dreyse SN 100.jpg
33.3 KB

41 - 60 of 132 Posts