Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would post a few pictures of ammo used in the M30 Luftwaffe Drillings. This is not WWII vintage ammo, but it is ammo available today. The 12x65 shotgun ammo are current production paper cased shells. The 9.3x74R is vintage post WWII production.
Download Attachment: drilling and ammo.jpg
44.09KB
Download Attachment: drilling loaded.jpg
59.59KB
If my German translation is correct, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, one style is a partitioned round nose made by DWM, and the other is a copper base hollow spear point made by RWS.
Download Attachment: boxed ammo.jpg
66.67KB
I believe them to be non-corrosive, but have not fired my drilling with any ammo at this time, just wanted to have some to complete the look.
Download Attachment: drilling ammo.jpg
47.84KB
I could not find a ballistic chart that listed the 9.3x74R but I think depending on the load it is 2300-2600 fps. Again correct me if needed, I can take it! As you can see in the photo, these rounds measure 74mm or about 3 7/8" in length. I read they were big enough to kill anything that walks, crawls, flys, or swims. But most effective at close range.
Please post any comments or statistics that you may have.
Thanks,
Gundog

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jan,
Yes it is. I got the shotgun ammo from a company that specializes in ammo for European shotguns. A lot of them over there were manufactured for the 2 1/2" shells. It was about $8.00 a box (25). The shipping was about the same, so kind of expensive but nice to have.
The 9.3x74R I got on AuctionArms, I was able to get that for $20.00 a box. I think Norma and another company or two still manufacture brand new but it is around $45-$50 bucks a box.
I can find the site where I got the shotgun stuff if you like. I think I have it saved on my work computer.
I have not shot mine as of yet. I am pondering that. There really should not be any problems, I deer hunt every year with a Winchester that is older than the drilling.
Best,
Fred

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jan,
Yes it is. I got the shotgun ammo from a company that specializes in ammo for European shotguns. A lot of them over there were manufactured for the 2 1/2" shells. It was about $8.00 a box (25). The shipping was about the same, so kind of expensive but nice to have.
The 9.3x74R I got on AuctionArms, I was able to get that for $20.00 a box. I think Norma and another company or two still manufacture brand new but it is around $45-$50 bucks a box.
I can find the site where I got the shotgun stuff if you like. I think I have it saved on my work computer.
I have not shot mine as of yet. I am pondering that. There really should not be any problems, I deer hunt every year with a Winchester that is older than the drilling.
Best,
Fred

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi all,
I have bought 2 1/2 shells for my english shotguns (and some early american makers had 2 5/8 chambers as well like Parker and Fox)and early pre war European ( like my Francotte) use and they are available from several sources.The last flat was from Westley Richards
they have a US office in Montana
here is their site ; http://www.westleyrichards.com/
there are several others makers RST, and B and P that carry those shells as they are popular with the shotgun collectors

I also have a couple prewar european rifles( a 1906 Mannlicher Schoenauer,a pre war small ring mauser(was told it was engraved and made for german officer but who knows?) and a real neat pre war Austrian s/s Cape gun that is 16( 2 5/8 chambers)X 8x57rmm360)
that I enjoy hunting with and have bought the ammo( a 8x56MS, 8x57JS,and 8x57r360 from Safari arms,its all top grade stuff and he will load it to your specifcations.
http://www.safariarms.com/index1.htm
I use all my early shotguns and rifles to hunt with and have had no problems.Hope this helps,happy to provide more sources if needed as I have been collecting in that area for many years,just caught the luger "bug" recently and this board has been great !
Best,
Dave K

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi all,
I have bought 2 1/2 shells for my english shotguns (and some early american makers had 2 5/8 chambers as well like Parker and Fox)and early pre war European ( like my Francotte) use and they are available from several sources.The last flat was from Westley Richards
they have a US office in Montana
here is their site ; http://www.westleyrichards.com/
there are several others makers RST, and B and P that carry those shells as they are popular with the shotgun collectors

I also have a couple prewar european rifles( a 1906 Mannlicher Schoenauer,a pre war small ring mauser(was told it was engraved and made for german officer but who knows?) and a real neat pre war Austrian s/s Cape gun that is 16( 2 5/8 chambers)X 8x57rmm360)
that I enjoy hunting with and have bought the ammo( a 8x56MS, 8x57JS,and 8x57r360 from Safari arms,its all top grade stuff and he will load it to your specifcations.
http://www.safariarms.com/index1.htm
I use all my early shotguns and rifles to hunt with and have had no problems.Hope this helps,happy to provide more sources if needed as I have been collecting in that area for many years,just caught the luger "bug" recently and this board has been great !
Best,
Dave K

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Bought two boxes of Sellior & Belliot (285gr) $40.00 a box at our South Carolina Arms Collectors show this past weekend.

VIS
Francis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.