Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the holster that came with the FN1922 I posted. Did not post together because I do not believe they belong together. From what I know this is a Dutch contract holster for the FN1922 Dutch contract pistols. The cleaning rod came with it but I have no idea if vintage or even correct. First cleaning rod for a FN1922 I have owned and could not find good examples to compare to. I would appreciate confirmation on my assumptions since my ignorance runs deep. All thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
John

Composite material Fashion accessory Carmine Metal Electric blue
Glove Sleeve Magenta Human leg Automotive lighting
Automotive design Auto part Triangle Electric blue Automotive exterior
Leg Musical instrument Automotive lighting Magenta Feather
Body jewelry Eyewear Font Magenta Jewellery
Sleeve Wood Helmet Grey Collar
Racket Foot Human leg Magenta Racquet sport

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello John,

This is indeed a holster for the pistol FN model 1922, or the Pistooltas No.2 for the Pistool M.25. There is no magazine pouch on this holster. The ink stamp CM 1940 stands for the Centraal Magazijn dated the year 1940 (Central Warehouse). I can't read the other blue ink stamp (manufacturer) well but it's probably this: Lederw. Fabr. “De Volharding” Amsterdam.
When used by the Dutch Army (up to 1940) , the holster is usually brown and provided with the number of the M.25 pistol.
The cleaning rod is not for the M.25 pistol (this one has no eye but a hook shape and nut thread on the underside), these are also usually provided with the number of the pistol.

The Dutch municipal police forces used (before and after 1940) such holsters for various models of pistols (Mauser - Sauer & Sohn - Walther etc.).

The information can be found in Nederlandse Vuurwapens by Martens and De Vries from 1993 and in FN Browning Pistols by Vanderlinden 2013. A new edition of the latter has just been published.

Regards,

Marck

·
Super Moderator
2,825 Posts
Marck, it is my understanding the holsters for the Sauer Model 38H are very much like the holsters for the FN 22 except they do not have a 'tear-drop' in the bottom but both sides are just sewn together at the bottom. Let me know if that is not correct. Thanks very much, JIM

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks John.

Hello Jim,

The holster that the Amsterdam municipal police used before 1940 for the S&S pistol Model 1929 is indeed easily closed at the bottom by sewing the leather together (Dutch style closing). This is the holster you picture in your book at the top of p. 154. The holster for the longer pistol Model 1929 Bereden, like the holster for the FN pistols (Dutch style closing), has the so-called tear-drop on the bottom. It is not known to me whether the S&S Model 38/H pistol will fit in the regular (small) Amsterdam (Model 1929) holster.
I have not been able to find any data that the Model H pistols that were delivered from Germany to the Amsterdam Police Battalion from 1942 onwards were also fitted with holsters, or that holsters were specifically made for this purpose. Presumably the holsters were used which were originally intended for the pistol FN. The Amsterdam municipal police had previously used holsters of the M.25 pistol for their Model 1929 pistol. After 1945 these FN holsters were generally used for various pistols.

The holster we picture on p. 51 of the book Politiebewapening (see picture below) is also easily closed at the bottom by sewing the leather together (Dutch style closing). This holster is slightly different then the regular Amsterdam holster. This fits the S&S Model 38/H perfect. There is no clear photographic proof of this holster in use at the PBA or Amsterdam police (could be another corps). It cannot be shown whether this holster was used from 1942 or whether this holster was manufactured after 1945.

Perhaps one of the members of this forum is in possession of such a holster and can provide a better or definitive answer.

Regards,

Marck
Trousers Outerwear Tie Human body Guitar accessory

1 - 6 of 6 Posts