Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Came with a late WW1 mag pouch , two dummy wood mag with Weimar regimented marking. The only reference I found about those wood mags is on page 1528 of Sturgess & Gortz book (green edition) .
Note that on the picture of dummies (pistol and mag ) there is a dummy mag same as mine, from the same régiment/squadron; S &G wood mag is dummy for weapon N°6 instead of 11 and 41 for me .
PLease review and comment , some other data welcome.
Guy
Dummy mags.jpg
mag pouch marine fin WW1 3.jpg
s

·
Registered
124 Posts
Very interesting, what was purpose of them? I would guess just as fillers when not on active duty?

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Very interesting, what was purpose of them? I would guess just as fillers when not on active duty?
Pretty much. Not a good idea to store the pouches with metal magazines and ammo in them for extended periods. So the dummy mags keeps the pouch in proper shape so you can stack them up without deforming them.

Those are neat artifacts, I had no idea such a thing existed...guess I should have perused G&S more carefully (In my defense, these are a little after my era of interest!:))
Thank you Mauser98 for posting them.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
3,852 Posts
They could have been used as training devices. There was also an official wooden 'P08' available for that purpose. And, yes, most recruits in the old days were uneducated enough to not trust them with 'real' kit at the start of their training :)

Reactions: lugerholsterrepair

·
Registered
124 Posts
Makes total sense. Just wondering why they're not seeing more often. Were they more of an Imperial/Weimar item?

·
Super Moderator
3,852 Posts
It describes that the wooden 'Fullstück' or filling piece will be introduced as replacement. Interesting wording, which indeed seems to point towards filling up, keeping in shape, the magazine pouches.

Reactions: lugerholsterrepair

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Interesting markings, of the Weimar era.

I think it is for the 4th Eskadron 18th Reiter Regiment , weapon # 11 ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts