Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have this little ‘44 dated Czech DUO pistol rig. I noticed a number oddly stamped on the front grip strap and do not know what it is. It’s been applied after the bluing. Proofing number like earlier DUO pistols had off and on? Those were on the slide at the lion/date stamp. It’s not the serial number to the gun. It doesn’t appear to be a GI service number or part of a service number…..so, I come to the experts. What do you suppose the number is?

Neat little rig. In the holster the capturing GI left his written information. I know that there is no way to positively link the holster to the pistol as the rig could be a “put together”, or may have all came to the U.S. like this; just no affirmative link connecting it all together (right now anyway).

I just received the rig, so some may recognize the photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I can not say I ever saw one marked like that before, but its an interesting piece. I agree with Vaclav it appears to be a property mark of some sort.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it's a police registration number .

Regards,
Vaclav
I was kind of thinking on those lines that after I posted this. Wartime Police?

Yoebuff: Yeah I’ve never come across one like this either. I’ve looked at a lot of these in photos and hadn’t seen this before.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I was kind of thinking on those lines that after I posted this. Wartime Police?

Yoebuff: Yeah I’ve never come across one like this either. I’ve looked at a lot of these in photos and hadn’t seen this before.
I think it's a post-war registration number .
After the war, there were a lot of unrecorded weapons in the hands of people, so it was after the war that the weapons would have to be registered with the police .
I think these are the right thoughts .

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes, This is indeed an older Post, yet I felt I should at least mention this fact, even though it may be incorrect ? Just for the sake of argument, you do have to admit that the 'bottom' digits inked under the Holster's Flap could possibly be some U.S. G.I.'s SSN ? It's just a shot in the dark so to speak, but it is possible ? Personally, I've always loved these little Czech DUO Pistole's, as in almost every instance, the 1940 - 1944 dated / proofed examples have always documented out as having been used by German Occupation Forces & in many cases taken along with them as they were transferred to other areas. I've mentioned my example here before, it being recover from an either dying or dead Luftwaffe Fallschrimjager as he was being treated at the Battalion Aid Station of the U.S. 258th Engineer Combat Battalion, between January & February 1945. The 258th's Battalion Surgeon brought it back home with him upon his return to CONUS. He retained it until many, many years later when his Grandchildren began getting older, & apparently decided it had to gotten rid of. That's when I literally stumbled across it while killing time on my lunch break at a local gunshop. All I can say is thank my lucky stars I took the time to lift the Holsters top flap to check for any markings ! Under that flap was the 'key' to the story, but that was still a few years away until I finally managed to track him down. I do plan to finally get some photos up, of this DUO, & a few of my other interesting pieces.

dpast32

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for your thoughts. I hope to see your little DUO that was captured. I think it would be neat!

Not too sure of a connection with the service number on the holster inside flap and the number on the gun’s grip strap?

At some point I need to start researching the vet. Maybe in the research that number will pop up somewhere.

They really are neat pistols! I think even ole Reinhard Heydrich had one. I could be wrong on that history, but I read that somewhere.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tiger, It is absolutely possible, perhaps even probable the Heydrich possessed one, as he was in overall charge of the Czech region, & would have had no trouble obtaining one. I've observed the dated as early as 1940, IIRC. And, based upon known examples, they were produced all throughout the war, although I can't recall encountering any 1946 dated examples. However, they definitely continued in production post-war, & were an relatively popular little pistol throughout the region, & were also exported wordwide, again IIRC.

I've discovered that a great many USGI's preferred to carry these little 6.35 / .25 automatics in the top pocket of the 'Ike' jacket, perhaps as an 'last ditch' or 'hideout' pistol. Numerous little pistols of that caliber were utilized by the Axis Forces, thereby allowing us to enjoy committee all these years later. In fact, if you really study photographs of the high ranking German cadre, you will note many of them wearing these little 6.35mm's in a Flap Holster on their belts.

Best, Dom P.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts