Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have acquired a 1944 dated DUO and have a question. For my records who is the maker of these. I have seen it listed as a "CZ DUO", "Czech DUO" and a "DUSEK DUO". I know it went to CZ in about 48, but before then? Thanks for any info, Dean

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
Dean,
Hope this helps.Frantisek Dusek established a gunsmithing shop in 1908 in the town of Opocno where he marketed Rifles, shotguns and gunsmithing supplies. He did not get into the pistol manufacturing business on his own til about 1937 when he introduced a Browning type pistol (.25) without a grip safety. These were marketed with the name Singer on the grips. (The same name as the Spanish pistols he was importing and marketing previously before his manufacturing enterprise.) These pistols also had "Duo" on the slide, which I'm sure you know is a contraction of Dusek,Opocno.The higher cost of Dusek's pistols and superior quality compared with the older Spanish ones undoubtedly caused the name to be changed to DUO. Dusek refused to cooperate with the German Occupation forces, so the factory operated without him. Some of these pistols are also marked JAGA as well as DUO. Your pistol, manufactured in "44" was manufactured by the Dusek Co. under German supervision. Very possibly the town name "Opocno" is spelled the German way "Opotschno". Further information is available in "Know your Czechoslovakian Pistols" by R.J. Berger.

Dave

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave,
Thanks for the reply and info. I was leaning towards Dusek also but could not find a company name. For there being so many of these made during the war years and even before and after, there isn't that much info written down. They are neat little pistols and were probably very popular as "hideout guns".
Dean

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.