Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts
Thanks for that info. I have only seen one other revolver like this that had a front site blade. I imagine that is why you say it looks like it has been cut down. On the other hand I have seen about 6 or so without the front site blade. does anyone have any information to why it may not have a front site blade, or to how many different lengths of barrel options these came with? Any good research sources? Thanks again in advance for any information.

Friends of mine in Holland or working on a massive book on Dutch LE arms. They are getting closer and I have promised to distribute it here in the U.S.

Feel free to check with me or the website as we get closer to 2016.

Anthony

All Dutch M73 revolvers have a 6 1/4 inch barrel with the typical front side blade. No revolvers of this type were produced with shortened barrels. Except the the few revolvers for gas cartridges. These have a 2 inch barrel. The last revolver of the M73 type was the " M73 New Model" that has a round barrel.
Concerning some more details I recommend the book "Die Militärrevolver der Niederlande 1856 - 1940" (Dutch Military Revolvers 1856 - 1940) by Heinrich E. Harder and Walter A. Dreschler. ISBN:
90 6707 493 4. Published 1998 by "De Bataafsche Leeuw, Amsterdam. Written in German but with Englisch summeries and captions. 254 pages.

Just picked up this P Stevens Maastricht. Can anyone give me some information on it? This revolver proves hard to research. Anything would help. View attachment 128519 View attachment 128520 View attachment 128521 View attachment 128522 View attachment 128523
The crown F is an arsenal acceptance officer marking, so this was not a commercial revolver.

Stevens and his sons were located in Maastricht (older spelling Maestricht) because of its proximity to Belgium. This rather small town was for long a connection / entry part for arms and parts made in Liege. Stevens like many Dutch makers had many parts made/sourced from Liege as this was more economical than to build them. Their factories were more like workshops compared to the Liege industry. I speculate that they mostly did assembly and finishing.

Anthony

Thank you Heinrich for that information. I have read back through the thread and found that you have provided most of that information already. If the gas cartridge revolvers were made with a 2" barrel would you have any idea why this one has a longer barrel? Also do you have any thoughts about firing standard ammunition through the gas cartridge revolvers? Lastly would you be willing to estimate a price on this firearm? I appreciate your knowledge and assistance. All information is welcomed.

Your pictured M73 was a very nice gun. I can't understand why anybody did cut the barrel and the ring loop.
So I recommend to look for a complete one. They are offered now and then in GB or eGun.
Standard ammunition and gas revolver:
The gas revolver's bore was enlarged by boring/reaming to 12 mm (1/2"). So the standard 9,4 mm ammo could not be fired with an effective speed.

Anthony,
I don't know whether you know that. A short time after our research activities in the main source at the State Archive in Den Haag, they destroyed 1200 running Meter (about 1000 yards) of the original War Department documents. Unbelievable but true. Our protest there came too late.
Some comfort is that I have still all the copies of the relevant documents and the question is where to store them for a safe future.
Anyway I wish you much success for your project!

Anthony,
I don't know whether you know that. A short time after our research activities in the main source at the State Archive in Den Haag, they destroyed 1200 running Meter (about 1000 yards) of the original War Department documents. Unbelievable but true. Our protest there came too late.
Some comfort is that I have still all the copies of the relevant documents and the question is where to store them for a safe future.
Anyway I wish you much success for your project!
To clarify, it is not my project. This book is done by friends and I will only distribute it here. We are talking about a possible English version in the distant future.

It is truly sad but not surprising about the archives. I recall many years ago when they were destroying High Powers and I wrote several letters to get exempt status. Even museums are not exempt.

The Dutch are in my opinion the most fanatical about gun control. I recall that there is even a toy review system... if you want to import and sell a black plastic toy - it will be banned. I recall (from memory) that it can only be specific colors and be limited in resemblance.

Black plastic scale models of guns such as Airfix are also banned. Forget going to another country to visit gun stores, what about going to toy stores :)

Anthony

Good afternoon ,I was doing some searching to get more information on a Dutch revolver and saw you have one shown in your photo shared.I have had this gun for years and i was given to me by my late Brother.It is in very good condition and has a serial number of 896.Do you happen to know were i could get some brass and or any black powder ammo for this pistol?It is identical to the revolver at the top of your photo.These appear to be very rare.I would love to know the value of my gun.It is in good condition with 50 perc or more of its original blue left on on it .Thank you so much for your post and information.

Please send some more daylight pictures. The original cartridges are not the problem but how to ship to USA?
Hello, my name is Jaroslav Opat, I'm from the Czech Republic and I got the Dutch Revolver from 1874 and I'm searching for ammunition. I ask you as a member of this forum if it would be possible to get hold of cartridge with projectile 9.4 mm Holland as is at this link - http://naboje.org/node/4522#

Thanks a lot for a reply.
Jaroslav Opat

Jaroslav, it may be quite hard to find ammo for this. Personally, what I would recommend is having someone hand load ammo for you.

Hello, my name is Jaroslav Opat, I'm from the Czech Republic and I got the Dutch Revolver from 1874 and I'm searching for ammunition. I ask you as a member of this forum if it would be possible to get hold of cartridge with projectile 9.4 mm Holland as is at this link - http://naboje.org/node/4522#

Thanks a lot for a reply.
Jaroslav Opat
Hello Jaroslav,
I will send you a private message.

Let's resurrect this topic.

Officer's M73, although this was not its official name in the Dutch army. Made by J.F.J. Bar, proofed by WDW (Werkplaats Draagbare Wapenen).

View attachment 568275

Comparison with Gasser M1870 and M91 KNIL:

Despite its oddly shaped handle, the revolver is very handy, at least for me. A picture from Harder's book on the Dutch revolvers:

do any of yall still have your OM 1873s? and could any of you get pictures or even hopefully some measurements with a caliper of the pawl for these? I have one from my family they have had since some of them were living there back then I think and I'm missing the pawl spring and trigger spring. I'm at the point that no one will look at it so I'm going to try and make one so I can get it working again but info on them is far and hard to find as I'm sure many of you know. :)

61 - 80 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.