Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recent purchase during a live online auction (hasn't been shipped yet). Catalogue description as below:
GERMAN D.W.M. COMMERCIAL 1906 LUGER S/A PISTOL: 7.65; 8 shot mag, being a post war replacement; 96mm (3¾”) tapered barrel; standard sights; D.W.M. to toggle; sharp profiles & markings; orig chequered wooden grips; S/N #9268 matching.

Here's the part that confuses me - it appears to not have a grip safety which I thought all of those commercial 1906 models had. Also, the serial number seems low.

I have asked them to email me more images and to confirm the serial number but maybe someone can already help me out with some more info. In particular regarding the grip safety. I'll upload additional images once I get them.

---- Eric

·
Administrator
13,140 Posts
I would guess that it is a 1920's -30's commercial - which would make it a non-1906 - no tapered barrel, no grip safety, serial number, might have a suffix on the front.
In addition, either the magazine is one from the 41-42 timeframe or its a post-war replacement

So, depends on how much you paid on whether it is a good deal, medium deal or not a good deal - after fees

Ed

Reactions: Spacecoast

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We need more information to determine exactly what you've bought, but it is not a 1906. A picture of the left side of the pistol would tell us more. A link to the auction would likely provide even more information.

Given the information you've provided, I'd agree with Ed's assessment that it's likely a 1920's commercial.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Errors abound when auctioneers unfamiliar with Lugers try to classify them. They would do well to hire an "expert" from this forum and pay them $25 a gun to ensure they have the guns figured out.

Reactions: gunnertwo

·
Registered
89 Posts
Agreed with all of the above. The frame is also of the short type. Either way still a nice pistol. Unless you really wanted a 1906 can it be returned? Don't know how auctions work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for your replies guys. Much appreciated.

I haven't received the pistol yet - the picture is straight from the auction online catalogue.
https://www.australianarmsauctions.com/2020-on-line-catalogue-1/
(Lot # 89)

Being in Australia, there's not too great a choice of Lugers around (and prices reflect this).
I am not too worried it being a different model. I'd be happy to follow through with the purchase pending them emailing me more detailed pictures and establishing that it's a classifiable Luger. I didn't really plan on bidding on this one and there was no time for much research (yeah, I know).

I'll post additional pictures once I receive them. This may take a couple of days since they emailed everyone to expect delays in correspondence.

Another Luger that I won at the same auction is Lot # 428:
CATALOGUE A54 & A55 2020: ITEMS NO 401 - 500 - Australian Arms Auctions

Unlike the above Commercial Luger I had actually planned on purchasing this one and asked them for additional pictures before auction start. So I have more images of that one, S/N 7042c:

Image.jpg IMG_4327.JPG IMG_4328.JPG IMG_4329.JPG IMG_4330.JPG IMG_4331.JPG

Eric

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Eric,
I would open a new topic on this new P08.
But, anyway, this is a military P08, made by DWM for the Imperial German Army in 1917, chambered for 9 mm Luger ammo.
From the site pictures it seems to have all the numbers matching, but, of course you will have to take it apart upon receiving.
Personally, I think you did nice so far, mate.
Congrats!
Douglas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to chase up further, more detailed pictures of the Commercial model and ended up receiving another sideview only.

I was told 1920 is engraved over the chamber. So you guys were correct :cool:.

Unfortunately, they did not provide additional pictures showing whether the serial number has a prefix or any further markings so I called it a day and they agreed to cancel the sale based on the incorrect model description. No issues there, very friendly people to deal with.

Was a good experience though, I read through heaps of information during the last couple of days, joined this great forum, got some books on the subject and will do lots of research so I'm better prepped next time.

---- Eric

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The "1920" over the chamber could be a military date (shouldn't be on a commercial model) or a Weimar property mark meaning that it was pressed into service for either police or military use. The new picture they sent clearly shows that the locking bolt has the last two digits of a serial number on it in the military style which means it's a replacement part.

IMO, you were wise to not follow through with the purchase.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts