Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a Alphabet Luger that a friend has offered to me, he wants me to give him a fair price...

It is matching, the firing pin is stamped, but hard to read, I can interpet as to the serial number, but that is open to speculation.

It has S/42 replacement grips on it.

Matching Police holster and magazine, the mag is in okay shape, dinged on the bottom.

Holster is in good shape.

Opinions?

Value?

Download Attachment: Alphabet001.jpg
67.32 KB

Download Attachment: Alphabet010.jpg
91.29 KB

Download Attachment: Alphabet008.jpg
57.99 KB

Download Attachment: Alphabet009.jpg
9.04 KB

Download Attachment: Alphabet006.jpg
10.12 KB
Download Attachment: Alphabet012.jpg
41.89 KB

Download Attachment: Alphabet013.jpg
58.83 KB

Download Attachment: Alphabet014.jpg
61.64 KB
Download Attachment: Alphabet015.jpg
53.21 KB

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,500 Posts
Ed,

Any unit mark on the grip strap? What's your read of the mark on the back of the holster?

I have DWM 3299q with the same proof mark on the bottom of the barrel. I never really got a good answer as to what it is. Still calls it a Simson "ghost eagle" but I don't know.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Ed, I think I would go a little lower than Ron on this. I am not comfortable with the serial number stamp on the holster back. My police holster, and others I have observed have well stuck marks for the pistol serial number, and the German seven tends to have more of a rake on the vertical stem. The Unit Mark looks like S.St. before it was marked over or marked out. Do you have any other Stettin holsters to compare the serial number mark?

Pistol is $800 to $900 IMHO. What is the holster worth to you?

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even as a one-matching mag?

I figure the holster is worth $150 or so, at least on e-bay they go for that, retail more. Condition is good.

I figure $950 - $1050 for the pistol, as it has a bit of freckeling, but the actual blueing is very high.

So,

$950 - $1050 for the pistol plus $100 for the matching mag, (Blue Book says 10% for a matching mag) and I figured $150 for the holster, these are high values, but condition is fairly high... So, I figured $1250 to $1300.... ?

I now have about 7 or 8 police holsters, the stamping is about average, sometimes struck hard, othertimes not.

Ed

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Ed, we are in close agreement. AND you have seen it up close and personal. Matching magazines do not generate much interest from me because I believe they are usually force matched or faked on Imperials. On the the Police I think it another matter since the Policei matched magazines on reissue and they seem to have stayed with the pistol more than the army issues. But, it appears that one matching magazine is pretty common with Police rigs so would not bump the value much.

I think you could not get it from Simpson for 1250.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Interesting question. I thought that Lugers purchased for Police service would have only commercial proofs. Since it is a alphabet Weimar production that could suggest direct purchase by the police.

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,500 Posts
Ed,

See my post a few replies up. I'm pretty sure mine with the same barrel proof was rebarreled for police service. It has a grip strap mark for the Police School at Muenster.

For what it's worth, mine at about 85% blue, matching except for trigger, rear toggle link pin and mags, was quickly appraised at $850.

P.S. I'm still interested in knowing if the one you're considering has a front grip strap mark.

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry Don, thought I'd answered, gremlins must have taken it out. No grip strap marking, but on the inside is indentations, and I think it may have had markings at one time. Also, must have missed what you said on the barrel proof, this one is also very faint, so makes you wonder why?

ed

·
Registered
17 Posts
Guys for what its worth I own the Luger that I have offered to ED. Back ground it came into local gun shop here in Austin some years back. It was traded by a young man for a moderen 9mm semi-auto that he wanted to use for his conceal carry weapon ,yes us Texans can carry legally. His Grandmother had given it to him after cleaning out his deceased Grandfathers items. Like most of the younger generation a Luger did not appeal to him and he got rid of it. The holster was sent to Mr Frank Demuro (the old Dean of Holster repairs) for some work which he completed before his death. The stamp on the back has not been messed with as ther was no reason to force a number to the gun to increase its value. The rig minus some small holster repairs is as it was when brought back after WWII by the original owner. I am getting out of the collecting end because of age and knowinh Ed for a while and this being his primary area of collecting offered it to him. I am sorry that the 7 does not look right on the holster and that it is suspect. I am doubely glad that I no longer have to worry about collecting as it now seems that any little thing is suspect as to boosting to get more money out of an item. Collecting in the old days use to be fun and we did not have to worry about the con artists that seem to have made everyone nervous about buying anything. There was also a tool with the luger that had been renumbered to the rig. From what I can read in Stills book this Luger has to be very near the end of the run of the Alphabet series and I think for its age is in remarkable condition and the rig has not been messed with as some seem to think possible. Just my feelings on where the collecting fraternity is going.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Robert, Sorry to hear you are dropping out, but I guess you have your reasons. It is unfortunate that the world is becoming a playground for thieves and con artists. It's getting to the point that people see curruption and thievery rewarded,and unpunished, so assume it's just part of the game. A sad state of affairs.

Good Luck, Ron

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From my perspective, I am very pleased with this Luger, and don't think anything about the "7", its a nice rig and I am vedry pleased my good friend offered it to me.

:)

Ed

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Was looking at it this morning, and realized what one of the markings on the barrel is. It is a arsenal repair marking, havn't seen this one before.

So, it has a commerical marking on the right, followed by a German Army and Police Acceptance and Proof, then at some point it went into the Ordanance and received a repair stamp;

Download Attachment: barrel3.jpg
35.1 KB

From Weimar Lugers by Jan C. Still
barrelmarking.jpg
13.57 KB

Download Attachment: barrel2.jpg
8.1 KB

From above, it shows a SU 25 should be an eagle, have others seen this stamping?

Ed

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Was looking at it this morning, and realized what one of the markings on the barrel is. It is a arsenal repair marking, havn't seen this one before.

So, it has a commerical marking on the right, followed by a German Army and Police Acceptance and Proof, then at some point it went into the Ordanance and received a repair stamp;

Download Attachment: barrel3.jpg
35.1 KB

From Weimar Lugers by Jan C. Still
barrelmarking.jpg
13.57 KB

Download Attachment: barrel2.jpg
8.1 KB

From above, it shows a SU 25 should be an eagle, have others seen this stamping?

Ed

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, I am sure I will be laughed at, but Bob said something in a posting above that made me think. I was looking at the cool stuff I got for Christmas and I remember he said
quote:There was also a tool with the luger that had been renumbered to the rig...
I thought, no, there wasn't one in the tool pouch, but then thought, why would Bob say that? I went downstairs, and shook the holster. Out fell this matching tool! BONUS! He'd told me about a tool a month or so ago, but had forgotton!

Download Attachment: Alphabet_tool.jpg
11.36KB

Download Attachment: Alphabet_tool1.jpg
12.56KB

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, I am sure I will be laughed at, but Bob said something in a posting above that made me think. I was looking at the cool stuff I got for Christmas and I remember he said
quote:There was also a tool with the luger that had been renumbered to the rig...
I thought, no, there wasn't one in the tool pouch, but then thought, why would Bob say that? I went downstairs, and shook the holster. Out fell this matching tool! BONUS! He'd told me about a tool a month or so ago, but had forgotton!

Download Attachment: Alphabet_tool.jpg
11.36KB

Download Attachment: Alphabet_tool1.jpg
12.56KB

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Don, my 1915 Wewimar Police rework has the same proof eagle on the barrel as in your photo in this thread. Regretfully it is locked up in my son's safe while we are getting settled in Pittsburgh so I cannot send a new photo. It is also very faint but mine has been reblued so it may have lost some defnition there but knowing the restorer it is not likely to have lost much.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Don, my 1915 Wewimar Police rework has the same proof eagle on the barrel as in your photo in this thread. Regretfully it is locked up in my son's safe while we are getting settled in Pittsburgh so I cannot send a new photo. It is also very faint but mine has been reblued so it may have lost some defnition there but knowing the restorer it is not likely to have lost much.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.