Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just acquired a DWM Luger with Crown N markings, serial number 81373. There is no date stamped on it anywhere and no "Germany" stamp either. I will try to attach pix. Can anyone help with info about this Luger and perhaps value" the finish is about 95% with wear on the high spots. The grips are excellent. The mag has a wood bottom piece with a crown "something" on it
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
You have what is called by collectors , a "1923" Commercial. This is a misnomer, since these 5 digit S/N commercials were made circa 1919-1920. Prior to the more common Alphabet "1920" Commercials.

The "1923" isn't rare , but a little more desirable than the Alphabet "1920". Yours also appears to be in very nice overall condition and is not export marked.

Here's an excerpt from Dwight Gruber, one of our (the) resident experts on Commercial Lugers.

"All Comercial model Lugers up to the end of the war in 1918 had 5-digit serial# and lazy c/N proofs. Production ended around sn74722.

Late 1919 Commercial production started again, continuing the 5-digit serial numbering beginning around 74745. Guns have upright c/N proof. This is new designation 1920 DWM (formerly 1923 Commercial).

Mid-1921 the commercial serial# series reached 92000. DWM converted commercial production to the military convention of numbering, four digits with letter suffix. Numbering began with letter suffix i , guns have upright c/N proofs. This is new designation Alphabet Commercial (formerly 1920 Commercial). (Not all sources agree with Still about the changeover beginning at serial# 92000.)"

Ron

·
Registered
3 Posts
DWM Crown N Luger
I have a DWM Luger with Crown N markings, serial number is 5118 for some time and would like to know more about it. . There is no date stamped anywhere and no "Germany" stamp either. The Crown and N where they show up also has a letter stamp just under it that looks like a cursive script "S". All numbers are matching. Could you help me with the info and possibly a value of this Luger. It is 98% condition.
Thank you Christa​

·
Copper Bullet Member
853 Posts
DWM Crown N Luger
The Crown and N where they show up also has a letter stamp just under it that looks like a cursive script "S".​
Hi Christa,
Are you saying there is an 's' under each C/N stamp?
There should be a lower case cursive letter under the serial number on the barrel and front of the frame. It is a suffix and is part of the serial number. If it is an 's', the full serial# is 5118s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Christa,
Are you saying there is an 's' under each C/N stamp?
There should be a lower case cursive letter under the serial number on the barrel and front of the frame. It is a suffix and is part of the serial number. If it is an 's', the full serial# is 5118s.
Yes and I also forgot to give the calibre, it is a 30 Luger not a 9mm

·
Copper Bullet Member
853 Posts
Christa,
#5118s is a 29DWM, made in 1929. Originally they all were 30 cal. Most were procured by the German military or police and the barrels changed to 9mm. Only a few with the original 30 cal. barrels were sold to the commercial market.

PS. Hopefully a moderator will move these posts to a new thread, so we don't hijack this one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
29dwm

Hi Mike, thank you very much for the information. Any idea of the value?
It would be nice if we did have another thread. Christa

Christa,
#5118s is a 29DWM, made in 1929. Originally they all were 30 cal. Most were procured by the German military or police and the barrels changed to 9mm. Only a few with the original 30 cal. barrels were sold to the commercial market.

PS. Hopefully a moderator will move these posts to a new thread, so we don't hijack this one.

·
Registered
14,173 Posts

·
Copper Bullet Member
853 Posts
Christa,
A small premium might be paid by a knowledgeable collector because it is a 29DWM (s,t,u suffixes)as apposed to the earlier Alphabet DWM commercials (formerly 1920 commercial). They are the same except for the suffixes. Alphabet commercials are plentiful. 29DWM commercials are scarce.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am new to Luger collecting. I am in the process of buying a Luger P08 with all matching serial numbers. I am trying to figure out roughly when it might have been manufactured. The serial is 6390 i, and is chambered in 7.65x21mm Parabellum. The manufacturing stamp is DWM. I don't have the gun yet, waiting on background checks and whatnot, so I only have the following pictures of it. Thank you in advance. After reviewing the picture it looks like it might have the Crown N on the barrel also.
IMG_20200505_125502471.jpg

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
the alphabets are fairly common. Also very well made, competion at that time period for jobs annd sales was tough and encouraged quality workmanship. It is a very pleassant gun to actually shoot. At one time ammunition was scarce but Fionnichi is producing it again, I believe. It is approximately 100 years old so have it checked before actually shooting it.

·
2,667 Posts
Welcome again to the Forum.

Rather than revive an older thread, open your own in the "New Collector" section, and post some good detailed photos.

·
Registered
12 Posts
the alphabets are fairly common. Also very well made, competion at that time period for jobs annd sales was tough and encouraged quality workmanship. It is a very pleassant gun to actually shoot. At one time ammunition was scarce but Fionnichi is producing it again, I believe. It is approximately 100 years old so have it checked before actually shooting it.
I forgot to say thank you Heinz. I apologize.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts