Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to help a friend evaluate a Luger that has been in his possesion for over 20 years. DWM marked toggle. Has the crown over N proof in 3 places, under the barrel, on the left side of the frame, and on the left side of the bolt. No chamber date. The barrel is 95mm or 3.75 inches long.The Serial # is marked on the bottom of the barrel and the front lower part of the frame and is 546a. The take down lever has a 46 on the bottom. The rear of the toggle is also marked 46. The trigger and side plate appear to be mis-matched as the trigger is marked 16 and the sideplate 63. The safety is marked GESICHERT and the extractor is marked GELADIN on the side. There is a lazy N proof under the side plate behind the trigger. The magazine had a wooden bottom but no serial # or proof marks. The grips are wooden and do no have any numbers on the inside. There is some very light pitting on the metal where the grips touch the frame. The bluing is mostly worn off on the front and rear of the grip frame and is thin on the barrel. The bore is bright and the rifling strong.
There are no import marks. When the pistol was aquired the sideplate matched but was lost and then replaced. No import marks.
Can some one help me identify it and place a value on it?

Download Attachment: DSC01960-compressed.JPG
21.93KB

·
Administrator
15,547 Posts
Ira, welcome to the forum.

Additional Pictures would help. I am guessing there is no marking on the top of the receiver? Such as a date?

It was made by DWM, the serial number is in the military style, yet the proofs are commerical. It is probably one of the military ones made in ww1 and then was sold as commercial. However, a full, but larger shot of the left side would help, as it is possible it was a police gun, that would be a new manufacture in the 1920's.

Having both the trigger and sideplate replaced brings the collector value way down for most people, so I would guess it is worth $400-$600, all depending on where you live, who wants it etc.

Ed

·
Administrator
15,547 Posts
NOT a police, so, likely a commerical, probably reworked during the weimar era for resale.

Is it marked "germany" anywhere? My guess is no, as your description was good and you didn't say so.

Ed

·
Administrator
15,547 Posts
We need more info, more pictures. Having an "a" suffix, it could very well be a army or police contract, the problem is that it should be stamped with a date and it isn't.

Can you provide a clear picture of the suffix? Are you sure it is an A and not an "o" or a "q" or a "p"?

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a reflection, this is where the bluing is the thinnest on the gun, can't see that any metal has been taken off.
Serial Number is 546 O, .30 Luger, no police or military markings.
Can someone pinpoint the aprrox date of manufactor ?
Just trying to find out how to accurately describe it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the help on this. I bought a book on Lugers thinking I could figure this one out, but it was more confusing than helpful. Another thing that is confusing is that it has 4 groove rifling-- not 6. Luger's take a lot more study than most collectables !

·
Administrator
15,547 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Ira

Just trying to find out how to accurately describe it.
I would tell folks, it is a Alphabet DWM Luger made for the commerical market in approx., 1925 by the DWM manufacturing company in 7.65mm or 30 luger for a non-american market (american guns were usually marked with germany).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.