Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

DWM marked "Stoeger"

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Luger1900 
#1 ·
DWM artillery marked A. F. Stoeger, Inc (etc)

Serial No. 917g

Left Side:

Download Attachment: Stoeger-1a.jpg
77.49KB

Download Attachment: Stoeger-11a.jpg
227.34KB

Right side:

Download Attachment: Stoeger-3a.jpg
129.92KB

Right side markings:

Download Attachment: Stoeger-5a.jpg
256.67KB

Download Attachment: Stoeger-6a.jpg
127.02KB

(Notice the barrel proof)

Barrel number:

Download Attachment: Stoeger-17a.jpg
85.13KB

Frame number:

Download Attachment: Stoeger-15a.jpg
121.5KB

Top:

Download Attachment: Stoeger-8a.jpg
60.36KB

Download Attachment: Stoeger-9a.jpg
131.83KB

Download Attachment: Stoeger-10a.jpg
120.26KB

Magazine (marked 'Germany'):

Download Attachment: Stoeger-12a.jpg
114.94KB

Enjoy

See less See more
G
#4 ·
When many collectors first notice an interesting Luger variation such as the Stoeger LP-08 above, they become all excited without considering certain details. In my opinion, I have noticed a few incorrect features:

1) If this LP-08 is suppose to be a 1930 Mauser Stoeger with a 3-line inscription, it is in the wrong serial range and it has the wrong suffix which should be a 'v'. The two line inscription was found on the 1923 DWM model and the three line was found on the 1930 Mauser model;
2) Although the 1923 Stoeger can exist with an unmarked chamber, the 1930 Mauser Stoeger with a three line inscription should have an American eagle on the chamber. The fact that the LP-08 above is a three line inscription Stoeger (found only on the 1930 model) without an American eagle on the chamber makes it suspect;
3) A Mauser Stoeger LP-08 (3-line inscription) is suppose to have a Nitro proof and Oberndorf prook mark;
4) On a Mauser Stoeger, the upper safety lever area of the frame is marked 'SAFE';

In my opinion, the LP-08 above was probably an Artillery commercial at the beginning which someone added Stoeger markings to create a 1923 or 1930 Stoeger. Unfortunately, errors were made or overlooked while trying to enhance its rarity and value.

Comments are welcome.

Happy hunting,
Albert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.