Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

DWM P08 "First issue" (1st issue) survey - call for data for data base...

44K views 141 replies 80 participants last post by  donnonno 
#1 · (Edited)
I`m starting a long-term project to generate a database of known/survived DWM Luger P 08 "First issue" as a benefit for all collectors... Please send your data of known "First issues"...Thank you!Best regards,Tom See Data Survey "First issue P08" - newest update as a stopgap in PDF:

Attachments

#2 ·
Hi Tom, Here are a couple more for your list:
265a 173.R.M.G.2.
9615a 15.R.3.2. (the R is cursive) . Has matching # magazine.
As someone who has considerable experience with lists of this kind, let me offer some advice. Unit marks that contain a cursive R should be noted, it's important, and any dealers description, such as "Personal property of von Ribbentrop" should be put in quotation marks!
Good luck with your new endeavor.
Regards, Norm

#5 ·
Here are a few more:
1213 123.R.M.G.51. One matching Mag no hold-open
1288 123.R.M.G.54. Two matching mags and holster no hold-open
794a B.2.U.3.4. no hold-open
2044a B.F.G.I.24. no hold open
2135a 19.U.3.14. One matching mag no hold-open
2607b Offzstllv.M.Plank. (backstrap) no hold-open
2975b 5.Ch.R.2.8. no hold-open

#10 ·
First Issue Lugers # 23 and 36 both have an identical unit mark of "K.12." The table has a "?" mark after both unit mark entires. To clearlify this unit mark, the "K" is for Kriegsschule, waffen 12. Unfortunately, the specific war school was not indicated in this unit mark. There is a thread on this forum providing further details associated with these Lugers and their unit marks.

Ron

#13 ·
1908 first issue#664 unit mark 35.R.M.G.14. m/mag orig. finish
1908 first issue#4143a unit mark 46.R.1.3. added hold open
1908 first issue#2921b personallized to EINGENTUM DES OFFZ.STLV.M.BURKHARDT
1908 first issue#1597 unit mark B.8.R.M.G.81.
1908 first issue #7748 unit marked G.R(Cursive)F.T.37.
1908 first issue #7979 unit marked 48.R.M.G.16.
1908 first issue # 6712a unit marked U.2.1.

#15 ·
Here are a few more that I no longer own.

3863a R.1.P.8.1. (R is cursive) H-O added
4143a 46.R.1.3. H-O added
5135a 172.R.11.3.
8277a 117.R.10.6.

#16 · (Edited)
Hi Tom,
* Please add my 1st Issue S/N 9976a w/ no grip strap unit marking. This example does have the script "W" on the trigger guard...meaning still unknown.
* Hold-Open has been added.
* I'm sure you thought of doing a "search" for first issues in this Forum. Quite a number of 1st issue posting w/ S/N's and unit marking questions.
* Also, Jan Still's "Central Axis Pistol" book has a S/N listing of First Issue's as I recall.
* Hope you post and maintain an updated listing on this thread/Forum for all to benefit. I applaud your efforts.
* Hope this helps.

#20 ·
Hi Tom -

It sounds like you may be hitting the 80,000 character limit because you are cutting and pasting your embedded table from another source.

If you are accustomed to working in HTML-like code with markup tags, you can edit the file in source mode (the leftmost button on the edit bar, the one that looks like a small A / large underlined A). If you open your original post in that mode, you may find a lot of text that can be deleted without harming the content of the post. Make a backup of everything first before you make any changes.

This process is how I have to make changes in the 1908 Bulgarian list when a new gun comes up since the editor here doesn't offer a graphical way to insert rows in a table. Once the rows are there you can switch back to "regular" edit mode to fill them in if you wish.

Hopefully this makes sense, if it doesn't I will be glad to try and assist further.

Mark

#22 · (Edited)
Tom -

One way to do it would be to create and attach a .pdf file, similar to what Dwight Gruber does with the commercial database. The drawback to that is that the user has to download and open the file and cannot see it from within the thread.

I have created a thread in the Tech Help area to show you what the markup code looks like for a table. It's really not hard once you get used to what you are doing. You can create a table when you first start a thread, or when you use the "Reply to Thread" button, but you can't modify it in the Editor when you update a post. You also won't see table operations shown on the "Quick Reply" editor. It's the third row of icons in the new thread editor, as is shown in the picture below.

http://luger.gunboards.com/showthread.php?50617-table-test&p=359513#post359513

The trick with maintaining a table in a single post that you go back and update with new information is to switch the editor into source mode and then to use the [TR] (row) and [TD] (column cell) tags (closed with [/TR] and [/TD]) to add rows to your table. You can work with those tags in a simple editor like Notepad if you wish, or directly in the edit window on the forum.

Ed Tinker or someone else may be able to provide a better alternative, but these are the only ones I can think of at the moment.

#23 ·
Mine is #1040....early one...got it at RIA....for 2K...about mint

#27 · (Edited)
Thank You for your valuable personnel service!!!! Included is my 1908 DWM #5135a and is Unit marked~172 R.11.3. Infantry Regiment 172, 11th Company, weapon number 3. George Anderson always includes written history of the gun. Battles fought and some lost and others won! You get to hold in your hand and own a part of your gun life~ Writing in time its' future history that we all help to Write and preserve! ~Eric

Attachments