Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Newly acquired 1st issue, Serial #1111 ,unit marked 103.R.MG.52, 1 matching mag. hold open added, all numbers match with
exception of firing pin which is not numbered.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
3 inch, 3 digit Luger

My dad (Staff Sgt) took a Luger off of an officer at Normandy. It had 3 digits and I know the first one was an 8. It was on the left side near the rear, to the best of my recollection. We moved from Pittsburgh to NY and he gave it to his brother in 1964 and he eventually sold it. I don't recall any letters near the serial number or on the barrel.

Since I own a S/W 640 and 64 ,plus a Glock 19, (to a gun guy, should be obvious why I own these 3) I know that the barrel of the Luger was 3 inches. No possible way it was 4 as (I played with it in the streets when he wasn't home, no firing pin). Everyone had German stuff in those days. You name it, it was on display. I've seen everything. In NY it was unheard of. Night and day. Never saw one thing. Difference between a working class neighborhood (PA) and a bunch of engineers (NY) who, while completely necessary, didn't see combat.

I did a bit of research after watching a movie last night and my best guess from that was it was just after WW1 that the ones with 3 inches were made. There were no letters and I don't recall any letters on the side or barrel. 8 then either a 7 or 6 then a 3 or a 2. 863 or 872 etc. Been a long time.

On my Uncle's deathbed he had 3 regrets. The first was he had a Bronze star (never told his kids), selling the Luger because he promised my dad he would give it to me when I grew up and I don't know the third.

He forged my grandmother's name the day after she died, he was 16 and went to the Pacific. My dad sad it was the maddest he's ever been. They were lifelong best friends.

So my cousin wrote to the US Marine Corps regarding the medals and when they found out he passed, they sent an Honor Guard and replaced his medals in a trophy case thing. It was so amazing that they did this. Just incredible.

My Dad traveled a lot but when he was home he would mumble then shout "Hermans" in the middle of the night. He'd go have a cigarette and go back to bed. This went on from my earliest memories to his death. That is what his guys called them. A google search confirmed because I have never seen the word used in a movie. Longish story as to why.

Sorry about all the back story but lots of memories popping up.

I had 5 uncles in WW2 and no one said a word about it. My dad did say the Battle of the Bulge was a horror show. End of conversation. The scar on his leg was from a Jeep accident and my Uncle told me my father was that new rank they created above Staff Sgt (Technical Sgt) although there were two types and my father was not only humble but probably did not want to explain it or have me have to explain the difference between the one with a T and the one without.

Nevertheless, that is my German Luger story.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Hi Tom -

I saw this first issue military at the Louisville Show of Shows, #6551 with a unit mark of 2.E.M.G. 79 according to the tag.

IMG_0484.jpg IMG_0485.JPG IMG_0486.JPG

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here's mine. 1322a with hold open device added and no regimental markings (maybe remove sometime in it history). Trigger plate and magazine are non matching.

Mid-age

IMG_0267.JPG IMG_0268.JPG IMG_0269.JPG IMG_0271.JPG

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,131 Posts
Peter, may we see a photo of the magazine base with the number?

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,131 Posts
Peter, the magazine is not original to the gun. Up until the e block of 1911 all DWM military magazines were numbered with large numerals running the length of the base with no plus (+) and no letter suffix.

·
Registered
14,173 Posts
Peter's gun does not appear to be a "1st. Issue" as the acceptance proofs are on the right side of the receiver flat and not on the left-side.

But maybe the "1st Issue" is just an American phrase/term...??? ...and not in use in Germany.

What is the date on top of the chamber ? The 1st. Issue guns have no chamber-date stamping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pete, you are right, sorry for the misunderstanding (first issue versus first contract).
In fact it is a 1910 and so not a first issue in this terminology (before/after "Vorschrift für die Bestempelung der Pistole 08" in 1910), so please remove it from the survey.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts