Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inherited a DWM Pocket Pistol from my father. This is a 7.65mm (.32ACP) blowback, semiautomatic pistol modeled on the FN Browning Model 1910.

The pistol was not functional when I received it, but a local gunsmith ordered an extractor, extractor spring and magazine for a Browning 1910, and the pistol works fine now. It has a matching serial number 711 on the slide, frame and barrel, and the N/Crown proof mark.

My understanding is this pistol was manufactured by Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabrik in Berlin from 1922 thru 1931 (?). Can anyone tell me more about this pistol? Was it used by military or police personnel? How many were manufactured? Are there any good references available?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Michael O’Driscoll
Waunakee, Wisconsin USA
[email protected]

Here are some pictures, while not of my pistol, that show a DWM Pocket Pistol…

Download Attachment: DWM_Left.jpg
49.64 KB

Download Attachment: DWM_Right.jpg
46.53 KB

Download Attachment: DWM_Detail.jpg
69.93 KB

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Isn't there anyone here who can help, or comment?

Here are some pictures of my DWM Pocket Pistol...

Download Attachment: DWM_Kit.jpg
111.12KB

Download Attachment: DWM_MuzzleLeft.jpg
113.3KB

Download Attachment: DWM_MuzzleRight.jpg
118.53KB

Download Attachment: DWM_SerialNumbers.jpg
119.66KB

Download Attachment: DWM_Right.jpg
123.7KB

Download Attachment: DWM_GripLeft.jpg
124.61KB

Download Attachment: DWM_w_Mags.jpg
129.13KB

Download Attachment: DWM_GripRight.jpg
131.77KB

Download Attachment: DWM_Stripped.jpg
143.46KB

Download Attachment: DWM_Left.jpg
155.98KB

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pancho, Weimar_Police and Mr. Still,

Thank you for your replies and the additional information... I knew there must be someone on this board that could help. Again, I'm not a collector, just curious about this pistol.

There is someone I've been in contact with who is a collector and interested in this gun. Any idea on a fair market value? Because of the sentimental and personal value, I'm not convinced I will sell it. It probably belongs in a collection of some sort, and I'm not sure I consider it as reliable as other modern pistols that I own.

Cheers
Michael O'Driscoll
Waunakee, WI

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ed,

Thank you for the support. In a world where money talks, it's sometimes tough to remember what it's all about. I spoke with my son today about selling his grandfather's DWM, and we both agree it's better to keep this pistol in the family.

Cheers
Michael

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Douglas Jr., Pancho and RockinWR,

Thank you for the contributions... I can see why this message board has such a great reputation!

Pancho,</u>
I certainly understand your point from a historical perspective, but cannot/will not part with my Dad's DWM due to its sentimental value, and have no interest in obtaining the one owned by onaway.

However, assuming all things being equal (all Original Equipment Manufactured), it seems that onaway's S/N #710 (Model 22) and my S/N #711 (Model 23) do indeed mark a watershed for DWM.

RockinWR,</u>
Very interesting, indeed. However, from A. B. Zhuk's "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Handguns, Pistols and Revolvers of the World, 1870 of the Present" (Item #1782 on page 215)...

DWM; Berlin-Karlsruher Industrie-Werke (formerly Deutsche Waffen-und Munitionsfabriken), Berlin, 1922-8. 7.65mm Auto; 154mm overall, 89mm barrel, 580gm. Seven rounds. Copied from the 1910-pattern FN-Browning, this was modifed slightly in 1923 and remained available into the 1930's. Production is said to have ceased when Fabrique Nationale threatened to sue for patent infringement.
(Illustration shows DWM on the grips).

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
RockinWR and onaway,

There is what looks like a stylized lower case "a" under the 711 on the barrel, frame and slide on my DWM. So can someone explain, how there might be a S/N 711, and a S/N 711 a? Could there even be a S/N 711 b... c... d, etc. under this scheme?

Again, it would be really useful to see pictures of onaway's pistol. Is this still possible?

Cheers
Mike O'Driscoll

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Outstanding! Thank you, onaway. I think this really helps document the DWM Pocket Pistol and its history for everyone. Certainly, I have learned a lot from this whole process.

Just one lingering curiosity, DWM's use of the suffix block nomenclature. On 19 November, RockinWR posted...

Per Jan Still in Weimar Lugers, Vol. V, DWM started to use the suffix block numbering system for commercial Lugers in 1921. Must be a carryover to all the different DWM models (2-3??) produced.

Again, this seems to suggest DWM could have produced one pistol with the S/N 711, and a different pistol with the S/N 711 a, and yet another one with the S/N 711 b? Could that be correct?

Could Mr. Still comment on this possibility?

If the scenario of assigning serial numbers by DWM was possible, anyone know how many would have been assigned to suffix block "a" before suffix block "b" might have been initiated?

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this discussion.

Michael O’Driscoll
Waunakee, Wisconsin USA
[email protected]

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
On November 21, Ron Wood asked... Is there any record of DWM pocket pistols with more than 3 digits in the serial number?. In fact, there is such a record. Here are some pictures of another DWM (Model 23 variety) with a S/N of four digits and a suffix block </u>that was for auction of www.gunbroker.com which someone e-mailed to me...

Download Attachment: 826033b.JPG
45.66 KB

Download Attachment: 826033c.JPG
51.08 KB

Download Attachment: 826033d.JPG
67.8 KB

Cheers
Michael O'Driscoll
Waunakee, WI

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.