Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

DWM with Belgian proof marks

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  EVR 
#1 ·
A fellow collector asked me to see if anyone has ever seen Lugers with Belgian proof marks....he has a ex artillery DWM(Relieved receiver,no back sight,date polished off) which has an expertly installed 4" barrel and Belgian proofs(3) on the gun...this gun would seem to date to th 30s...Thanks..

#5 ·
Joop; does the Belgian proof marks mean that the firearm was sold commercially in Belgium? Are they found on military guns or commercial, or both. Was this a necessary operation to legalize or register a firearm. I have never seen one so marked..........EVR

#6 ·
Ed,

Sorry for this very late reply... I forgot to subscribe to this topic.
Belgian proof marks are applied by the 'Banc d'épreuves de Liège'. When an arm was imported before 1991 it had to be presented to this state institute. There it was tested with some overcharged cartridges. After passing this test it was stamped with proof stamps on all parts that are in contact with the cartridge. For the Luger that are the barrel; the breechblock, the front and rear toggle, the receiver and sometime also the frame.
Since 1991, if the arm has been pressure - proofed in one of the states that have been accepted by the European Community to have a standarized proofing institute, imported arms do not need to pass the Belgium proof bank in Liège anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.