Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

· Registered
14,175 Posts
Hi Brad,

Thanks for your photo.

I did have this other photo of the gun when Legacy had it for sale. It is a nice high-resolution photo for zooming-in.

The barrel proof looks like the broken-variety (w/ only 1/2 of the stamping) and it has a decent halo around it, too.

· Premium Member
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
This is well struck for a tool but as you can see the stamp has chipped out areas and a trace of peening . Pic is not straight on and with it being well struck it looks a little distorted but straight on it is not . Not good with cameras yet but I am trying . This " splayed leg " type E2 is not normally seen on mag bottoms but if you look on pages 91 and 92 in Gibsons book you will see many on gun parts .

ADDING

I am going to start adding messed up tool E2's to this post to keep them in one place . Third pic is a really messed up E2 and pic's 4 and 5 are taudelts and " old half wing " sure applies to it's E2 .
'

'

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
mags with the same chipped out E2

Interesting little string of mags with matching chipped E2's .

ADDING - mag 4268 pic - thanx Pete
ADDING - mag 4842 pic the + is bogus but the mag is good
ADDING - 8/1/17 4724 and 4288
ADDING- 8/21/17 ​4627

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
1937 sn 8587 with a really messed up barrel proof .

Pics are not good but you can see it has a halo [ that's good] and is multiple struck with a broken die .

Frame E2 is missing it's upper part .

The right receiver E2 is missing most of it's R wing .

Left E2 is messed up also but not clear enough to tell anything other than it's L side is too wide [ double struck probably ] .

Pics thanks to Pete's magic as I couldn't get them off the internet .

Dave

Attachments

2,196 Posts
Pete is the Mark of Shattuck those 2 little dimples on the rear edge of the recess?
No, it's the circular area of lighter bluing created by the presence of a sticker he used to mark/label the guns, seems they were often left on the guns for years. This is a pretty faint example, many are much clearer.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts