Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Pete ,

Barrel proof is a classic example of hit it tilted left and then hit it tilted right . With a gap so the eagle has 2 heads .

Reciever proofs are all at least doubled faintly .

Sure don't see many that are all clean and intact .
SN-4213 (S-Code) just starting to see some loss of feathers and a little die-bounce :

·
Registered
584 Posts
Just curious how Die Bounce happened? I have personally used number stamps with a hammer on steel in an industrial setting and this did not happen for me.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Pete's way of saying sloppy work I would guess ?

I have stamped numbers myself and had no issues either .

Pretty amazing how bad many of these are !!!!
Just curious how Die Bounce happened? I have personally used number stamps with a hammer on steel in an industrial setting and this did not happen for me.

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
Member Geo. posted up some photos of a numbered and proofed HK hold-open latch and a firing pin spring retainer in another thread, recently.

Figured the E2 photos of those small parts should be moved here :

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
Chris,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Here is an example of what I think might be "hammer bounce".

Normally when striking a die with a hammer, you have a power down-stroke and a slight "lift-off" stroke to get the hammer face off the die after the stamping-stroke.

( I guess this would not be the case if using a "dead blow" hammer...???... )

I was surmising a hammer can come down again and rest on top of the die and make a 2nd. impression...a bit lighter in force and maybe not at the exact place as the original stramping...if the original hammer stroke rebounds back to hit the die a 2nd. time

Take a look at the "2" on the E/2 of SN-4685. The die moved a bit before the 2nd. impact and rotated some so only the "2" was the repeat impression.

How else could we explain the 2nd. imprint ? Are there any other ideas as to what would cause that ?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Or maybe they took a light "practice" stroke first to get the aim and the force right? Like warm up stokes in the game of pool before actually striking the cue ball. Or a first light hit on a nail head before a full force hit. One thing is for sure, there are a lot of die bounces out there.

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
Thanks Dave...missing feather AND broken wing bone...common on your examples with the exception of the photo you named as "cowboy E2". No broken bone, there.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Some bad die type 1 E2's all from 1936 5543 .

Attachments

41 - 60 of 60 Posts