Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even I don´t know if this is the right board, I ask for your help about this Enfield Revolver. As you see on the pic, there´s a stamp on the frame (Eagle over Swastika) which look a bit curios to me.

Download Attachment: eagle2.JPG
161.57 KB

The weaopon is marked by year 1941 and wear no other german acceptance stamps. (WaA)

Download Attachment: eagle.JPG
44.7 KB

My question: Is the german marking a military acceptance stamp or is it a fake? Why there are no other amrkings like an WaA stamp. As far as I know, every spoil taken by german army needed military acceptance stamps.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Waffensammler,
I hate to answer this question, I have been in the same boat with many pistols. Here is my two cents. This is a test firing proof as far as I know. That would mean that a qualified person fired this revolver with an over pressure cartridge and then checked it for safety. I would say you rarly would see this on indivudal captured weapons but may see it on weapons imported or manufactured/modified under occupation.
Plus, the Germans would have to have 38 S/W pressure cartridges on hand. Not for one weapon.
As far as the mark goes, the "Legs" of the Swastika do not look uniform.
Just my thoughts and observations. Dean

·
Registered
839 Posts
I think the Eagle/Swastika alone is a military test proof to show a piece was tested with an over pressure cartridge and passed. The Waffenamt, Eagle over number, is a military acceptance stamp to show a piece was accepted into military service. This is a very general statemant, there are lots of variations.
Dean

·
Registered
839 Posts
Now you are really getting away from stuff I have any idea of. I think Police issue is an Eagle/Swastika plus a letter next to it, such as an L, C, K, or F.
Dean

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm not going to comment of the marking, but I do know for sure that the Germans did issue many captured British Enfield & other brand revolvers. I have photos of German Feldgendarmerie soldiers with both Enfield No.2MK1's & STEN SMG's while on operations in occupied France, circa 1944. The British weapons came primarily from captured British & Allied S.O.E./O.S.S. parachute drops intended for the French F.F.I. units. As the war progressed, the Germans made use of ANY weapons available. Regards, Dom Pastore Jr.

·
Registered
121 Posts
dplast32 is right, I saw a film and fews pics about feldgendarmerie and French Milice (para militarized unit working with german polizei)armed with english enfield revolver and sten's (from fighting again French partisans in 1943/44).
But what about markings on this guns...I don't know.
Regards
Hervé

·
Registered
193 Posts
How is the revolver marked otherwise? Does it have post-war British commercial proof marks, such as "TONS" etc..? If so, this would indicate that the weapon was in British service until sold off after WWII, and thus it would be less likely that it was in Nazi service.

Frankly, I am inclined to think the Nazi marking is highly suspect.

Best regards,
Greg.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.