Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just purchased an Erfurt 1912 Luger with all matching numbers except for the magazine. The Luger is in good condition with its original dark brown holster and tool. The serial number is 340, one of the early Erfurt Lugers.

Can anyone decipher the following markings: 163. RMG.13., note: the 13 is smaller than the other numbers.

Thanking you in advance,

Joel Burton

Download Attachment: 1912smalla.jpg
80.64 KB

Download Attachment: 1912smallb.jpg
38.35 KB

Download Attachment: 1912smallc.jpg
46.64 KB

Download Attachment: 1912smalld.jpg
34.78 KB

Download Attachment: 1912smalle.jpg
38.97 KB

Download Attachment: 1912smallf.jpg
79.06 KB

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Your Erfurt unit markings indicate: 163rd Infantry Regiment, Machine Gun Company, weapon number 13. It looks to be a nice example of a 1912 Erfurt. Congratulations on a nice find.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Joel
The 163rd Regiment was part of the 17 Reserve Division during World War I. It battled on the Western Front in Belgium, the Oise, Somme, Flanders, Cambresis, Arras, Lys and Matz. During 1917 it launched a " great number of terrible attacks on the Arras Front and in Flanders." The 17th Reserve Division was rated as a first class by Allied Intelligence.

Only one in ten 1912 Erfurts is unit marked. You have made an excellent find.

Details of markings on the holster and tool would be most appreciated.
Jan

·
Registered
542 Posts
Joel,
* Thanks for sharing your new find!!
* As Jan has posted, only 21,000 Erfurt P.08's were manufactured in 1912. The reported S/N range of known examples is 62 to 866b.
* Checking your pictures, I believe the S/N of your example is 340b. The "b" suffix block would have been made late in 1912; possibly as late as Dec., 1912.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Joel
Nice old girl you have there,is the bottom of the magazine erfurt proofed ,cannot tell from the picture also that holster looks to be in fine shape for its age. If only those old war birds could talk what a story we would here. Simply beautifull.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jan,

Thank you for your information on my Erfurt.

I can't find markings on the holster but at one time it had a medallion on the
flap. I found three small holes and a ghost shape of a medallion on the flap,
about 1.5 by 1.5 inches. Also, in faded ink I can make out a name and I
think a date: A. Olson, it looks like 7 31 14.

The tool has a marking: stick bird over 665 / I think the tool is a later
date- am I right?

Take care,
Joel Burton

Download Attachment: missing emblem.jpg
131.42KB

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Joel
There may be a manufacturing hallmark and date on the inside of the flap. These are often hard to spot and read.

As Bob stated the full serial number of your Luger is 340b.

The E/655 tool was made 1939-1941.
Jan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jan,

I photographed the Erfurt 1912 holster with Olsen’s signature scribed on the inside flap.

Jan, Erfurt markings are not visible on flap.

Joel

Download Attachment: Holster flap.jpg
147.22KB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.