Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am new on this very interesting Forum. Sorry for my English, I live in Belgium. I am looking for a little technical help.
I have obtained a P.08 ERFURT 1918. The gun is not in mint condition. It hasn't been fired with for ages. On the inside, there is 'hardened' grease.
• What product should I use to remove all that grease without damaging the gun?

• If I pull the breechlock group backwards (to 'arm' or 'cock' the gun) with an empty magazine the gun should stay open. But that does not happen. The breechlock goes back in its normale closed stand everytime, with or without a magazine in the gun.
If you know what the cause of this problem is and/or you have a solution, I would be most grateful.

Regards,
Biggles

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,118 Posts
Biggles...... Welcome to the group. I use a product called HOPPE'S #9 Solvent but I would think any good solvent will work. If you know how, disassemple the gun and coat all parts and allow to sit in order for the solvent to work. I find an old tooth brush and Q-Tips to be very helpful in getting out the old grease.

Your problem with the hold open not working could be because of all the grease build up and might resolve itself after a good cleaning. If the hold open is working then I would try a different magazine. The button on the side of the mag is what makes the hold open function and many times that is the problem.

If that does not solve the problem post another question and someone else will try to help.
Regards,

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,110 Posts
Biggles, Welcome! I use very hot water to start cleaning a gunked up pistol. The hot water heats the metal so when it is drying it drys immediately. Then I emmerse it in common paint thinner. Much cheaper than special gun cleaners. Works just as good too. I use an old toothbrush in all the cracks and crevices and an air compressor to blow out everything. When using compressed air be carefull that there are no small parts that can be blown off and lost. I lost a takedown spring this way untill I wised up. Then I use a shaving brush to put a coat of break free on all the parts and wipe it down with a soft cotton cloth after assembling.

The only thing that has ever concerned me about the hot water emmersion is enclosed springs like the sear spring and plunger. One must be careful to attend to these hidden springs and make sure no water is encapsulated.

You might want to check the function of the holdopen with the cannon off. You can insert a magazine and observe it's rise. Look at the sharp edge to see that it is not rounded over. It might be broken or missing altogether.

Good Luck! Jerry Burney

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,
thank you very much for your help, advise and time.
I am going to clean the gun very carefully and hope that the hold open functions then.
I will let you know if it does. But that will be in the first week of March, because tomorrow I am going on vacation with my family.
I am really glad that I have 'found' this forum on the Internet. It is a treasure of 'Luger-knowledge' to me.
Again, many thanks for your replies .

Regards,
Biggles

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello again,
I have done what has been suggested. I degreased the gun and the 'hold open'-spring works again.
I will try to post some pictures of it, this week.

Regards & thanks for the advise,
Biggles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.