Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I got to check out an Erfurt Luger today, I don't recall the toggle date, probably 1913-1915.

It had a marking on the front strap, Pi.S 48, crossed out. I'm assuming it might be a vopo rebuild since it's refinished and the toggle doesn't match (front half force matched). Side plate looked forced matching to me.

Can you tell me any more about this luger? It had wood grips unlike most of the plastic vopo ones I've seen, but the refinishing and force matching seems vopo to me.

Thanks!

-Dave

· Administrator
17,036 Posts
I think folks rely on east german or russian grips a bit too much. Its been in the USA for a number of years, and new repro or old grips could be added.

· Super Moderator
5,786 Posts
If you take the first and last letter of Polizei, you would get Pi, a method which is similar to Su for Spandau, for example. Or Kl for Kassel.

So my best guess is an early post war police marking.

· Registered
2,373 Posts
VoPo rework. Not a police gun while in German use. (At least not the receiver, & no mag safety cut) Assembled from cannibalized parts. Need to see the receiver proofs on the right side. Breach block is late war Mauser. Simson frame and barrel, Erfurt middle link.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts