Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,141 Posts
Jan, my 1918, 9723 ns, is posted on this forum and has the Erfurt Eagle on the barrel and breechblock.

I agree that there must have been multiple inspectors, or at least multiple stampers. Since the inspectors were required to keep a plate with their inspection stamp imprint it would seem the inspector was the stamper.

My recollection of the "Spandau" Lugers is that they are Erfurt style proofed. This would fit with a theory that Spandau was using Erfurt style eagles after some point in time. Granted it does not prove anything but it is not inconsistent with the theory. It would also strikes me as odd to have breechblocks for DWM machined at Erfurt. Erfurt was not a Loewe conglomerate plant and they are variously rumored to produce work slightly less close to optimum tolerance than DWM. ( I do not know if that is actually true) Why would DWM agree to use a breechblock not of their manufacture when it is an absolutely critical part both for passing power proof and accuracy/rapid fire tests?

· Registered
1,141 Posts
Jan, It might be interesting to create a mythology on how a Spandau should be waffenampted and proofed and see if they start showing up that way.

Back to the subject of DWM proof eagle styles. Both of my lugers have the C/S in the 26c position. The stamp in 1918 shows a lot more wear than on the 1915. It is an interesting question as to whether the inspector would relate to the style of proof eagle. Another interesting question is if the proof stamp used for the barrel proof is a "special" stamp to mmatch the barrel curvature, or if a flat stamp was used leaving a slightly off imprint. You, and others who have looked at a lot more barrel proofs than me, may be able to make an educated guess on that one.

· Registered
1,141 Posts
Jan, Great photographs as always. Looking at the proof eagles on C/S Lugers at the OGCA will bcome a new avocation.

Dwight. The witness mark on my 1918 posted in the Imperial Lugers section is perfect. That luger is a early 1918 (no suffix) and has the erfurt proof on the barrel. I believe the inspectors may have used 3 seperate stamps for the proof marking, One for the reciever, a hardened flat section with a need to align with the inspectors marks, one for the barrel, a curved section with a different hardness than the reciever, and one for the breech block. The breech block I suggest because the Erfurt style proof eagle seems to show up there first and it also appears an awkward area to stamp. I hope this meets Jan's criteria for simplicity.

· Registered
1,141 Posts
Dwight, I think the "halo" around the calibre numbers would suggest stamping after bluing. One of the knowlegeable collectors could refresh our memories on what marks would be expected to have a halo, and which would not.

Thanks for the information on the breechblock proof. Mine both have erfurt proofs on the breechblock but I have always had the impression that even the DWM bb proofs are different than the reciever proof.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.