Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

F.B. Radom Ng30

21K views 45 replies 15 participants last post by  HansJacob 
#1 ·
Well the Sun, Moon and Planets aligned for me this past weekend at the SCACA show.

F.B. Radom Ng30 "Nagant" revolver, serial 5499, dated 1932. This is only the second Ng30 I have actually held and the first opportunity to acquire an example.....life is good.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Radom Nagant

Francis,
congratulation! You have found a very rare piece. I had the same luck after 35 years of gun collecting last year and could get also a 1932 made Radom revolver. The finish is the same as on my one.
Yours is now the 10th in my data base.

#6 · (Edited)
Guys, thank you for your kind comments.

Heinrich, for your data base, here are three more numbers:
1931 date, serial 1247
1932 date, serial 3547
1935 date, serial 11561
It is interesting that I have had these serials in my "Radom" database for 18 years and the prices offered to me then were within a few dollars of the one I just acquired.

Greg, thank you for the link, outstanding. Now if I can figure out how to save it for reference.

I wonder what the highest serial number recorded is or how many are estimated to had been produced.

#7 ·
Francis,

Several years back, a collector from Poland informed me that in 1930 the Polish Govt. contemplated manufacturing from 20,000 to 35,000 Ng 30's for police issue. However, due to fiscal problems and budget cuts the actual number manufactured was far less. As of 1935 the last year of production, observed Ng.30 serial numbers are below 14,000. My 1935 dated example is #13,622.

I was also informed that the tools purchased from the bankrupt Nagant firm in Belgium were in poor condition, and as a result the manufacture of the Ng.30 required alot of hand fitting of parts. For this reason Ng.30 parts were numbered to each revolver.

Interchangeability of Russian and Polish Nagant parts was cheched and found to be rather close, if not perfect, for many parts.

Best regards,
Greg

#9 ·
Radom Nagant

Francis and Greg,
first thank you very much for sharing your serial numbers.
Now I have 15 in total in the data base and they are marked from 1931 - 1937.

With help of the mathematical statistics I have found that 20.866 were manufactured.
Due to of the relative low number of 15 the result is less precise but +/- 21.000 is a suffient result. Better than estimated only.

#10 ·
Radom Nagant

Francis and Greg,
Revised,
just found an other serial number: 21359, made in 1938.
This is the highest number and the first time the year 1938.

The revised calculation delivers now: 22.693 pieces.
With each additional serial number the result is becoming more precise.

#23 ·
Radom Nagant

Francis and Greg,
Revised,
just found an other serial number: 21359, made in 1938.
This is the highest number and the first time the year 1938.

The revised calculation delivers now: 22.693 pieces.
With each additional serial number the result is becoming more precise.
To all Radom revolver friends in this thread,

I have made an error! The number 21359 and the year 1938 come from a pistol
VIS 35. The previous calculation is valid again.
Sorry,
I beg your pardon.

#11 ·
Heinrich,

I am pleased that this thread is an aid to expanding your database and research. It has been commented that many were for police issue. If for Army procurement, would they bear the military acceptance as we see on the VIS pistol?

You may or may not have this one listed, but here's a link to another 1932 date. http://www.handgunsoftheworld.com/catalog/item/4117344/6865166.htm

#16 ·
Ng 30

Francis , I think you pistol is military stamped.On the right side above the grip there are two stampings.One of them is a octagon with letter D in it.I am not saying this is the same inspector as on Vises since yours is so early.All mine are stamped with oval and D2 in it as vis 35(all of them 1935s)same place as yours.Dietrich I will get you numbers for you data when I will come home.I will also ask my polish friends about the numbers .I know about at least half a dozen of guns(NGs) that are sitting in their safes.Regards Kris.I will also post some pics for you to enjoy.

#18 · (Edited)
Ng 30

Heinrich, sorry for mix up the name; here are the pictures as I promised. You can read the numbers from the pics, and the third one that I traded for Vis 35 is 11196 (1935). I will get back to you with the other numbers when I will collect them.

Attachments

#19 ·
Radom Nagant

Heinrich, sorry for mix up the name; here are the pictures as I promised. You can read the numbers from the pics, and the third one that I traded for Vis 35 is 11196 (1935). I will get back to you with the other numbers when I will collect them.
I did understand who was meant. No problem at all.
Is there any suffix at 1935? R or r ?

#21 · (Edited)
Ng30

Francis,

Fantastic example, congratulations on your new addition. I'm very impressed with the finish and condition of your Ng30, I purchased one several years ago and it's also in very nice collector grade condition as your posted example. I find it amazing that these Ng30's show up in such well cared for condition and with very minor wear to the finish.

Where did these revolvers sit? How did they get to the USA... and when?

I searched my postings and see that I never posted it on this forum, if it's ok Francis I would like to post pictures of it if nothing else than serial number and year research.

Again, super find and it truly will sit proudly next to your many other fine Radom production firearms.

Robert

#22 · (Edited)
Robert, yes, please post photos and write up on your Ng30 to this thread.

This is a wonderful dicussion of these revolvers and we sould keep it going. We never have enough information about the pistols that we enjoy so much.

#24 ·
Ng30

Hello again.I was not expecting a shower of compliments on two of mine Nagants since they look like two junks but at least one comment would be nice...maybe I don't deserve to be tapped on the shoulder for my hard collecting...anyway Heinrich I was able to reach one of the guys with Nagants and got two more numbers for your data:1931 #353 and 1932 #4254.Regards Kris

#27 ·
Radom Nagant

Hello again.I was not expecting a shower of compliments on two of mine Nagants since they look like two junks but at least one comment would be nice...maybe I don't deserve to be tapped on the shoulder for my hard collecting...anyway Heinrich I was able to reach one of the guys with Nagants and got two more numbers for your data:1931 #353 and 1932 #4254.Regards Kris
Kris,
thank you for the new serial numbers!
The mathematical statistics delivers now 20.500 revolvers made by the Radom plant.

11 serial numbers I have found or got from USA
7 found in Europe.
Theoretical projected it means that ca. 12.500 could have been shipped to USA.
But by whom? How did they come to USA? In this case the unpopular importer's mark
could help.

#25 ·
They look nice to me Kris. If those are junk I need more junk.

You guys have made me want one. Apparently one was reported on the main gunboard forum which was spotted at a show priced at $1200. The Russian variety is surprisingly fun to shoot and accurate. Stalin carried one(Russian made of coarse) according to the Museum of the Russian Military in Moscow and it is on display there.

#28 ·
Ng 30

Hello Heinrich.I am not an expert on NGs but know for sure all of these have to be veterans bring backs.The stamp D2 is a polish military inspector so it was adopterd by army.Some might came with polish emigrants pre war.The same story with Radom Vis 35, some of them are import maked but most of them again came with vets.Germans captured these from Poles and Americans from Germans.Regards Kris

#30 ·
Hello Heinrich.I am not an expert on NGs but know for sure all of these have to be veterans bring backs.The stamp D2 is a polish military inspector so it was adopterd by army.Some might came with polish emigrants pre war.The same story with Radom Vis 35, some of them are import maked but most of them again came with vets.Germans captured these from Poles and Americans from Germans.Regards Kris
My 1935 dated Ng30 is a vet bring-back.

#31 ·
Ng.30

Francis,

Sorry for the delay in posting my Ng.30 but I had to get out of here and spend sometime on the Puget sound (see the last picture.) Anyway here is my Ng.30 for review and comment.

Robert

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.