Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1914 DWM luger that has F.W.B. burned into the right grip. I have never seen this on a luger before. I have seen a similar (E.W.B.) brand on the right side of mauser rifle butts that were used post WW1.
Any possiblities besides being personalized by a recent owner?
Except for this marking it seems to be all original and matching. JL

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
John
Is it possible that the "F" is a poorly stamped "E".
There is a photograph of a EWB branded into the grip of a 1914 dated Erfurt LP08 on page 109 of the book Weimar Lugers. For details see page 41.

The EWB signifies Einwohnerwehr Bavaria: a paramilitary police force raised by Prussian Minister of the Interior orders dated April 15, 1919 to allow German citizens to protect themselves from revolutionaries and looters. It was subject to the local command of the Reichswehr.
Jan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does appear to be an E though the lower part is shallow and not black like the rest. The B is odd with the line separating the loops angling up to the vertical line. Pistol is 'a' suffix DWM 1914 in excellent matching comdition except for some dark spots on left side of bbl and near number on side plate. JL

·
Registered
406 Posts
quote:Originally posted by JL

The B is odd with the line separating the loops angling up to the vertical line.
German Small Arms Markings, Goertz, has a picture of an EWB marking with a "B" of this type. I note, in passing, that the lower horizontal leg of the "E" in this picture is somewhat more shallow that the top leg.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.