Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so happy this week I brought home a very sharp & clean, 42 BYF,with matching #'s,& original black plastic grips.I do believe it was re-barreled as there is no S/N on barrel.I tried both 124 grain,& 115 grain winchester ammo,& averaged about 2 jams per magazine.it either dented the cartridge by catching it on an angle,failed to pick-up a cartridge,or by the toggle not closing fully.I oiled & examined the gun & can see no worn or damaged parts etc.I have noticed some other P08's that have a slight channel ground between the barrel & the magazine tip.not mine though-could this be why the cartidge gets stuck on an angle going into the barrel? I bought this as an attractive shooter,& am tempted to keep it (it's so pretty) but its performance is just unacceptable.it was not cheap,& I think it should be reliable(represented as a shooter).something a gunsmith can fix? expensive? I'd appreciate hearing some learned oppinions, before I speak with my dealer about returning it.thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the matching # aluminum base magazine it came with, & an aftermarket plastic base magazine.the gun worked better with one it came with-but that doesen't mean either are totally right.any good luger-smiths in the atlanta georgia area? thanks!

· Silver Bullet Member
1,704 Posts
I don't know of any down there. Usually it is the feed lips that require a little bending to change the angle of the cartridge. If the angle is too steep, it will stove pipe, or the bolt will not pick up the next cartridge because the base is too low. Arm chair gunsmithing is not might best forte, but try altering the lips on the after market mag to lower the angle of the bullet. If that doesn't work, drop back five yards and punt!! ;)) Another thing, if the ammo is marginal in power, the bolt won't come back far enough to pick up the next cartridge. You don' have any WWII MG ammo to try do you? Just a suggestion, but several old timers told me that Lugers were supposed to be able to take MG ammo since they were using the MP40.

Dave

· Administrator
16,738 Posts
This is a huge controversy, some people say that it is underpowered ammo, which can be true, but sub gun ammo will beat the hell out of the luger (again, something I have been told Dave, and I was also told the sub-gun theory too).

I am in-between, I have found the magazine to be the problem for me, and the overall length of the cartridge makes a huge difference.

Best thing to do is to try a couple of mags, and several different ammos.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi,my dealer took the pistol home with him a couple of days,to fuss with.said he put several magazines through using my ammo,his verdict was "limp wrist".I'm no poof,but I have had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists.think a wrist brace will help? appreciate any other suggestions.stop laughing!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi,my dealer took the pistol home with him a couple of days,to fuss with.said he put several magazines through using my ammo,his verdict was "limp wrist".I'm no poof,but I have had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists.think a wrist brace will help? appreciate any other suggestions.stop laughing!

· Registered
3,508 Posts
I have shot some hot nine through my "shooter" lugers (home brewed reloads) and the hold open lever activates in recoil snapping the toggle open with almost every round. It was also beating the crap out of my Russian grips. So, I wouldn't use any hot sub gun ammo through your pistol.

I find that the Winchester 115 grain 100 round "bulk" pack works best in all of my Lugers. I tried Wolfe ammo but on one of my "shooters" with a new mainspring the hold open wouldn't work on the last shot.

Feeding problems and jams are mostly mag related. I use the Meg-gar mags made in Italy and they seem to work just fine.

Mark

· Administrator
16,738 Posts
limp wrist does make a difference in some guns, it sounds funny, but a solid grip makes a difference in a 1911, I can't remember if it does for a luger, I have a habit of a grip of death when I shoot, so hard for me to say...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.