Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all; i have a few lugers and other pistols that i believe are unfired. i realize that virtualy every gun that has left any factory has been fired for function. i would assume that after that firing that the barrel would have been scrupiousley cleaned.does anyone know if there is there any test available to us to establish for certain if a gun has been previously fired? i know that law enforcement has very sophisticated forensic mmethods of determining stuff like this, is there anything available to us?? --john--

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
John,

I am not an expert at forensics but I believe after a gun is cleaned you can't tell if it has been recently fired.

I have a few P.38s in my collection that look unfired but I think that any military firearm that is 60 to 90 years old has been fired at least once by a previous owner.

Mark

·
Administrator
15,553 Posts
I agree with Mark, I actually (inwardly) roll my eyes when a collector says that his gun is unfired. I mean, not to be rude, but this gun has NEVER been fired??? How the hell does that happen? Even the commanders gun would be taken out by him and fired on occassion, heck their life might depend on it.

I think it much more likely that it has been fired very little, but unfired seems unlikely with any gun that was issued...

Ed

G

·
The phrase that really pushes MINT to the limit is "MINT FOR IT'S AGE". A collector friend of mine has a favorite expression for pistols that are described as MINT, but turns out to be something less, "MEANT FOR SOMEONE ELSE".

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,331 Posts
John, Look on the rear of your Luger you believe to be unfired. As the toggle comes back when fired it leaves a mark right above the lanyard ring on the back of the frame. Look to see if the back frame has slight indentations or markings on the blue. If these are there it has been fired for sure. Even if it has been reblued these marks could still be there. Look at a Luger you know has been fired and you can see what I am talking about. Other pistols I couldn't say about...Jerry Burney

·
Registered
115 Posts
Maybe the dead German officers the Lugers were taken off (personally killed by the soldier who brought the Lugers back) were shot before they had time to return fire with their Lugers which had never been fired a single time before.

·
Banned
803 Posts
My friend is a WWII B-17 pilot. He was issued a 1911A1 in a shoulder holster, all brand new. He hates guns. He hates shooting guns. Even he took his pistol down to the beach one night between missions and he let off exactly two rounds to see if the darned thing would shoot. That's the only time he ever shot it, and that's as close as any military pistol can ever come to being "unfired." As much as he hates guns he won't sell me the rig even though I keep upping my offers. I'm up to $250 at the moment.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Dear Mr. Lockwood:

I felt I needed to throw in my two bits! UNFIRED I would think would be the same as A VIRGIN!

At this point and time what does it truly matter. If you can own one and have the other or the other way around life is wonderbar!

Regards,

George

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
I picked up four Commemorative Mauser Parabellums this weekend at the Chantilly Gun Show. I told a prospective buyer that they had "never been fired", then I glanced at the test target in one of the open cases and added "almost".

·
Super Moderator
5,364 Posts
That's basically the problem.

Every P08 that has been proofed has been fired and more than once. Also note that nearly half of the P08's didn't pass first testfiring and needed minor adjustments after which they were refired. So even a 'fresh' P08 that was never fired by it's owner usually had some 5 - 10 shots through the barrel.

The fact that many 'pristine' P08's made it into the USA is simply the result of the gun turn-ins after areas were captured. Arms were collected, usually on town squares, and the GI's who oversaw the whole deal got the first pick.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.