Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired first issue DWM #7383 "a" unit marked: 20.R.M.G.55. The "R" is not script, the "55" smaller numbers. On page 123 of Jan's Imperial Lugers, this could signify "20th Infantry Regiment, Machine Gun Company #55", or "20th Reserve Infantry Regiment, Machine Gun Company, weapon #55". But on page 128 is pictured a similar 1st issue, with "6.R.M.G.47". So could mine mean "20th Grenadier Regiment, Machine Gun Company, weapon #55"? I suppose knowledge of the existence of such units would be of extreme help here but would appreciate opinions. Would anyone know the history of the regiment depicted? I'm still trying to obtain Jeff Noll's book.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
DrBuster
A script in that position signifies Reserve Infantry Regiment.

By 1914 the historic Grenadier Regiments were simply Infantry Regiments. They are mostly marked in the same way as Infantry Regiments. The Grenadier Regiment determination is from a German Army publication and not in most cases from the unit mark. The 20th is not a Grenadier Regiment.

The small numbers are almost always weapons numbers.

Up until 1916 most Infantry Regiments had only one machine company Company and they were not numbered. After the addition of a second and third MG company a 1 or 2 or 3 was added to signify the appropriate MG company.

1908 DWM, serial number 7383a, 20.R.MG.55. - (20 Infanterie-Regiment, Maschinengewehr-Kompagnie, Waffe Nr. 55)

I highly recommend Jeff’s book that can be found at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~nopubl

The 20th Infanterie-Regiment was part of the 6 Infantry Division, 212 Infantry Division, and the 5 Garde Division during World War I. Its somewhat complex history can be found in the Histories of 251 Divisions that participated in the Great War 1914-1918.

A photograph of your Luger and its unit mark would be most appreciated.
Jan

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,230 Posts
Herb, I will email you the name and number of a shop that has only one copy left.geo

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Jan, for your prompt reply. Knowing information like that really increases value and sentiment for this 1908 old war horse. Will post photos as time permits. And George, thanks also for the reply. I will watch for your e-mail and send for the book ASAP.

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried my best, Jan, to decipher the markings under the hatched area. but the best I can tell is "20.R.?????". It may have been from the same regiment and machine gun company but just renumbered to a different weapon number. Thanks for commenting.

·
Registered
98 Posts
quote:Originally posted by drbuster

I recently acquired first issue DWM #7383 "a" unit marked: 20.R.M.G.55. The "R" is not script, the "55" smaller numbers. On page 123 of Jan's Imperial Lugers, this could signify "20th Infantry Regiment, Machine Gun Company #55", or "20th Reserve Infantry Regiment, Machine Gun Company, weapon #55". But on page 128 is pictured a similar 1st issue, with "6.R.M.G.47". So could mine mean "20th Grenadier Regiment, Machine Gun Company, weapon #55"? I suppose knowledge of the existence of such units would be of extreme help here but would appreciate opinions. Would anyone know the history of the regiment depicted? I'm still trying to obtain Jeff Noll's book.
drbuster
Hi Herb,

Infanterie Regiment Graf Tauentzien von Wittenberg (3.Brandenburg.) Nr.20 was part of III.AK, 6.ID. and 11.Inf.Brigade.
Date of formation : July 1. 1813
Garrison : Wittenberg
The MGK was attached to III.Bataillon.

War time formation 1914/18.
At mobilization with 6.ID. Since September 15.1916 with Inf. Brigade 57 of the 212.ID. By January 13.1917 with Inf. Brigade 408 of the 212.ID and by February 11.1917 'til armistice with 5.GID.

Battlefield history is available.

Please turn to page 68 of "Imperial Lugers".
The 1st company of IR 20 found my uncle and burried him near Courville. His personal belongings were turned over to the 2nd company of GR 110. His pocketwatch, EKII, letters and postcards from France were handed down to me by my family.
One of the many letters came from IR 20 to my Grandfather with detailed information. It is stamped Infanterie-Regiment "Graf Tauentzien"(20) 1.Kompagnie, dated July 28th 1918 and signed by
Offizier-Stellvertreter Schoenfeld.

Klaus

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, Klaus, for replying to my thread and for sharing with me and the other members of the Forum this moving battle history. I'm proud to own such a piece of history that was so intimately involved in your family's past. I will treasure it as long as I live.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.