Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked her up today. A little Christmas present to myself. All matching except for the magazine. Original finish, not re-blued. Light pitting on the outside of the barrel. It needs to be cleaned well. It was, in my opinion, a bargain at $400. I'll post pictures tonight. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are a few pics. I am not totally "up and running" yet, so I am sorry about the quality.

Download Attachment: s42 side.jpg
61.6KB

And this from the top . . .

Download Attachment: S42 top.jpg
51.39KB

After further inspection, she is all matching down to the grips and firing pin. What is the symbol nder the ser. no. that looks like the Kellog's Special K "K"?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I wish, I could buy them here for that price !!!!
The letter you mentioned is the suffix block (1 till 9999 is 1 block)
in which the gun is made.
They started each year with No. 1 then after No. 9999 you get 1a till 9999a etc. etc.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Captain Emo,

A bit of clarification regarding serial numbering.

Imperial Military Lugers of WWI were indeed numbered from 1 at the beginning of each year. This practice was followed by both DWM and Erfurt.

Mauser P-08 began production at serial# 1 with the K date in 1934, and simply progressed through the number-suffix irrespective of year. Mauser cycled through the complete alphabet three times, ending in the n suffix block in 1942.

Complete serial number tables can be found in Jan Still's "Imperial Lugers" and "Third Reich Lugers", respectively.

According to these tables 1937 Lugers are not found in the K block. Script letters can be tricky to decipher, if you post a photo of your frame number it will help determine what the letter might actually be.

--Dwight

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks Dwight,

I couldn't finish the suffix block story, my wife was hurry me up to go out for visiting some realtives, bringing our New Year wishes.
No you completed it and of couse in better understandable English then I ever could.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Captain Emo

Can you tell us what the proof mark is on the right side of receiver near the barrel. Suspect a stick winged eagle as opposed to the droop winged eagle.

This will make the difference of the proof on the aluminum bottom of the magazine.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Cap't Emo,
* There is a good "sticky" explaination at the top of the "Third Reich Luger 1933-1945 Holster-magazine" forum on all P.08 mags which is helpful. From Don Hallock's research on magazines stated there-in: 1937 S/42 - Blue body (few nickel), solid base DE-63 acceptance until the - r - block becomes SE-63 acceptance. 2-MM-DE6 or 2-MM-SE6.
* So; 2-MM-SE63 mag for your 1937 "z" block pistol. This is a blued folded & crimped sheet metal tube containing a coiled spring with an aluminum bottom which is single side pinned to the tube. The original aluminum bottom mag will bear the pistol's serial number and lower case suffix block letter w/ a single stick eagle/63(small) acceptance markings. The reserve mag will have the same markings with an additional "+" indicating it is the spare mag.
* As you can see, the mag's switched to the sE/63 earlier than the pistol's acceptance marks based on Don & Frank's posting.
* So many transitions going on in 1937 that a good treaties could be written about these 1937 P.08's alone. What has stymied most research is the lack of enough original examples with accurate/complete configuration definition from each suffix block to descern transition points. Also, the transitions do not appear to be crispy clear as a lot of overlap appears in the current data for each feature change questioned. So we have some conjecture overall here and some generalizations which are close; but, not iron clad. I think the mag description above tho will be good for your pistol.
* Please refer to the following link for additional transition info: http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3454. As LugerLou has asked, please post your pistol's acceptance stamp sequence (sE/63 and/or dE/63).
* Trust this helps & Thanks.

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,001 Posts
Bob, FWIW Column!! I have a 1937 Y-Block, WaA are double DE/63, my Z-Block is mixed WaA SE/63, DE/63 and an A-Block double SE/63.

I haven't been able to find any SE/63 WaA's in any lower blocks than the Z-Block.

NOW THIS IS FOR THE PISTOL ONLY. There are SE/63 WaA's on magazines before the Z-Block, as you said the R-Block.

Interesting!!

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Download Attachment: B1MGB16MG 229.jpg
31.9 KB
Luger suffixes from Costanzo page152. These are posted for review purposes only. Can any members familiar with this style of German writing verify the correctness of the letter styles.

Luger letter suffixes can be confusing. Refering to the above list can help avoid mistakes.
Jan

·
Registered
550 Posts
Cap't,
* Yes, this pictue is very helpful.
* Your Acceptance stamp sequence is stick Eagle/63(sE/63) and droop Eagle/63(dE/63) followed by the mid style Test Proof. The MTP also shows on the barrel.
* This transitional sequence is exactly what was expected for a "z" block 1937 S/42.
Thanks,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.