Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wanted to purchase a real Black Widow rig. I am a novice and feared at the prices they are going for that I would buy one from Simpson Ltd. I purchased a Norwegian Capture with no import stamp on it. It is all matching. It has two issues. First, the Norwegians hot dipped it per Simpson. Second, the original German Z suffix had four small lines stamped over it and an L was stamped next to it. Mr. Simpson provided a letter describing the gun. But, in it, he stated that he was unable to verify if the new suffix was stamped by the Norwegians or not? Could that have been done by the Germans or a Norwegian military formation under German control during the war? The gun is in excellent condition with a mint bore. He stated that the bakelite grips and black bottomed FXO WaA37 Black Bottomed magazine are original to the gun. I paid $1,495.00 plus 35.00 S/H.

I then went about completing the rig. I purchased a mint FXO WaA37 Black Bottomed magazine for 250.00 plus 10.00 S/H. I purchased a JVF 1941 WaA204 W. Brand Heidelberg Luger Holster with the Norwegian Web Belt alteration for $99.99 plus $7.99 S/H. I purchased an Eagle/655 mint original tool for $81.00 plus $6.00 S/H. I then purchased a wooden/lined presentation case for $90.00 plus 19.00 S/H. To top it off I purchased an
SS Norwegian sleeve shield for 12.95 plus $1.75 S/H. My FFL dealer charged me $55.00 for the transfer. He owns over 130 Lugers and thought that Simpson Ltd. was fair with me. The bottom line is that for 2,108.68 I now own a Norwegian Capture BYF41 Black Widow rig that is an almost mint 97%, came with a letter from Robert Simpson that verified it is an original Black Widow not a fake, and can be traced to the occupation of Norway as well as a long postwar service record since 1945.

Because of the postwar use and two issues with the Luger will it always be seen as a shooter? Or can I expect it to rise in value over the years if I don't shoot it and present it honestly when I go to sell it years from now?

· Gold Bullet Member 2012
2,498 Posts
Dear Friend, I don't think that your P08 is only a shooter. I think that the weapon is a collectible item. The gun has a history and has never been touched by foreign hands.
Cordiali saluti
Giuliano

· Gold Bullet Member
1,844 Posts
Anthony,

Many thousands of Luger pistols, originally used by the German Army and Navy between 1940-1945, remained in Norway and were eventually used by the Norwegian Army as the official ordnance pistol. Normal maintenance took place, the holsters were indeed altered for use with the NATO belt.

I am convinced that these Luger pistols are a collectible sub-variation in its own. The same can be said from the so called Vopo Luger pistols, refurbished during the fifties in the former DDR (East Germany).

· Registered
217 Posts
Anttom -

Congratulations on doing a good job of putting the whole rig together.

Since "It is all matching" I'm sure some would advise you against even shooting it. It is a desirable collector-grade Luger (even if it is a "sub-category" collectable), and you may not want to risk breaking one of those matching parts. You have probably read elsewhere in other threads that if you do break one of these matching parts, the value of the firearm is greatly reduced.

So in my opinion, I'm not sure I would even call your Luger "a shooter." It's a matter of personal choice; however, if it were mine, I would not shoot it.

· Gold Bullet Member
1,694 Posts
I think it is just a matter of time before these are collectible. I remember when VOPO's were very cheap and still nobody wanted them. Now collectors are finding them desirable. They are all just a continuation of the long luger history. I agree with Ron, I wouldn't shoot it, or at least not much. There are to many real shooter class lugers to ruin this one. Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.